8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » My first 16mm projector - but no film!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first 16mm projector - but no film!
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2009 02:31 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't really plan on getting into 16mm as I'm very happy in the 8mm world but I've come into possesion of a B&H Filmosound 1552. Seems to be in order but I don't have any film to run through it yet.
Does anybody have any junk, faded, unwanted film for cheap as I just want to try this thing out. I've only got a 400 foot take up reel at the moment so I don't need anything more than that.

Or do I even want to go there? Like I really need to spend more money on films!! ha ha
Cheers
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 11, 2009 06:51 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

My new office here got 2 B&H Projectors (which I tempted to take them home, since no one look after them) that have been lying for years. I don't know if they have films to throw away. I will check for you and will give a response on Monday.

In the mean time, since you are the only active member in Canada, can I ask your favor if you have unused/unwanted 600 empty reel? (or at least 400 feet).

I just purchased a Chinon with 600 feet capacity but it doesn't come with a take up reel. So I cannot play my films bought from Lawrence Flea Market last month [Razz] .

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2009 12:22 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert if he doesn't have one, I could spare a 600' plastic reel you could use as a take up..... your projector is super or standard 8?

email me at aytab(at) aol (dot) com and give me your address..

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2009 12:48 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert
Thanks for taking a look for me, much appreciated.
I don't have any extra 600' reels but I do have a spare 400' autoreel I could send you.
I see Dino can offer you a 600' reel so you may prefer that.
You can e-mail me at terry(dot)lagler(at)rogers(dot)com if interested. No shipping cost to you, just give me word and its yours.
Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 14, 2009 04:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,

After battling with dust and tons of books, I finally found one reel a 400 feet in metal reel.

I quickly checked up the reel, and it is very surprising that the colors are very good (see scan). I wish I had super 8mm in that color quality.

On the can it says "Technicolor"...so that must be a reason.

-

-

-

I believe this is a kind of art movie, titled "A Place to Stand".

It is still listed in my office catalog, so I send you a PM to use this film.

And Terry thanks for the 400 reel.

Dino I also thank you for your offer, I will send you a PM too.

ps: to Terry, why is very hard to get 8mm films in Canada? I have been to Lawrence Flea market which is supposed to be the biggest flea market but found nothing. I was in Cabbage Town festival last weekend where all the town put yard sale (hundred of hundred houses were holding garage sale at the same time) I also found nothing not even film related items. There were only vinlys and photographic cameras apart from household items. It is strange for me knowing Toronto is a business city and more over there is a annual Film festival here (Toronto International Film Festival) held this month. Can you explain a bit...?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Winbert
Images too! how great, thanks and thanks again! I have sent you a PM.

To answer your question (hopefully).

Yes it is indeed hard to find 8mm films but not impossible. I have never found anything at a garage sales, antique shops or flea markets but have come across the odd projector and film supplies at second hand shops like Goodwill and Value Village.

As for films I have had some success at Toy or Memorabilia shows in Toronto.
There is a photographic show coming up in October but I think they have a cine section too so I'm hoping to check that out for films.

This link www.super8porter.ca is also worth checking out for events in the area as it's run by a Toronto Super 8 filmmaker.

Maybe we can meet up to exchange the reels and discuss it further.

Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 14, 2009 12:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

Having my curiosity, I was googling for this title and found in the web:

http://www.filmreferencelibrary.ca/index.asp?layid=44&csid1=521&navid=46

quote:

A Place to Stand

18 min., colour, 35mm
English
Director Christopher Chapman
Producer Christopher Chapman, David MacKay
Cinematographer Christopher Chapman, Lazlo George, Joseph Sekeresh
Editor Christopher Chapman
Music Dolores Claman, Richard Morris

Production Company TDF Film Productions, Ontario Department of Economics and Development
This innovative multi-image propaganda film for Ontario tourism – which was shot on 35mm and printed on 70mm – screened to great acclaim on a 30 X 66 foot screen at Expo ‘67. It cost almost $500,000 and was the origin of the IMAX process.

A Place to Stand won Canadian Film Awards for film of the year and non-feature sound editing and was also nominated for two Academy Awards® – one for best short documentary and the other, which it won, for best live action short film. It was re-released on 16mm in 1969.

By Peter Morris

So this is an Oscar winner for Best Live Action Short Subject.

Probably this is the same movie. So it might be interesting to have this film for your film test.

I have replied your PM.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2009 07:03 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting Winbert!
Found another 400' reel for you.
Will be sending you a PM.
Cheers
Terry

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 15, 2009 11:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!

Chris Chapman is the guy who introduced Bill Mason to the world of motion pictures. He wanted to make a film about Quetico Provincial Park and he needed a canoeist to act the lead role. Bill Mason took the job and learned his film making style from the experience. Today he's legendary among Canadian independent filmakers.

Please don't ruin this reel testing a projector!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2009 06:18 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, so right!
Winbert sent me a link as he found it on U-Tube. I remember this film from my childhood. I think I saw this in school. There was even an Ontario theme song!

This is an awesome find and I certainly don't want to ruin it!

Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 16, 2009 10:11 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and Terry,

I don't realize that this may have a historic value to Ontarians.

The link to youtube is (there are several, choose one of them) :

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22A+place+to+Stand%22+Ontario&search_type=&aq=f

Although I am not an Ontarian, after seeing that clip, the tune was ghosting in my head (LoL)...Ontariii-oo-oo .....

Further research by google found in this archives page:

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/on-line-exhibits/tourism/government-expansion.as px

(ctrl F for "place to stand")

So, Terry if you are unsure with your projector just take the film with you and bring to a venue you think you know (independent film shows or sort of). It is more benefit for Ontarians rather than with me. Return it when you feel you have done.

Just I think a proper cleaning may be needed as it has been sitting for years with dust.

Terry, I have replied your PM with almost the same letter.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 16, 2009 12:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a search for Super-8 National Film Board of Canada films in place on E-bay for a year now and haven't gotten as much as a nibble! I'll have to content myself with "Take it From the Top" (1967 Centennial helicopter travelogue in 'Scope), for a while I guess.

I know for a fact the pickings would be better in 16mm, since that was once the NFB's primary distribution format.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 17, 2009 10:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, I got the reels, Thanks.

Unfortunately, I was still in subway when you arrived. We'll meet next time when you return the reel.

Hopefully you can find a right audience for that historic reel!! [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2009 08:27 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, too bad we missed each other, I really hope to screen this film!

We'll try a meeting when I return it. Since you're in Toronto for the next while you'll have to come to my next annual outdoor Super 8 screening!

Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 19, 2009 09:42 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

I am waiting your invitation. My kids missed my weekly screening times, since we moved here, because I didn't bring any reels.

If you have, be sure to list Peter Pan (Disney extracts) on the line up... [Wink] this is my son's favorite.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 02, 2009 12:05 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to thank Dino for a 600" reel you sent me.

I thought after my email to you and there was no reply received, you had forgotten this thing. I didn't follow that up further because Terry dropped me 2 400 reels.

But yesterday I was surprised when receiving a mail from you. I have only 1 film of 600" ("Raise of Titanic" purchased from Lance via Ebay auction for only $11.5 incl postage, what a nice purchase!!) and was thinking to split it into 400 reels (yaaak... I hate to do that) from Terry.

But, Dino, your reel has now saved Titanic from getting butchered [Wink]

again thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Gareth Dressler
Junior

- posted October 04, 2009 07:49 PM      Profile for Gareth Dressler   Author's Homepage   Email Gareth Dressler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree Winbert, film does seem hard to find.
I try to find 8mm and 16mm, but it seems if you want film you have to pay a nice price for it via the internet.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 04, 2009 08:34 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gareth,

You are from Canada too...!

Yes, this is very strange for me knowing Canada is not new with film. Even it has a big film industry here.

But one thing I noted here (regarding the price), every one in Canada seems to easily value old stuff as "antique" and therefore put high price for that.

Look at Kijiji and Craiglist.

Sorry a bit OOT, yesterday I found a Marx train set (1950sh) offered at Kijiji for $150 where we can easily find at Ebay.com for $50 max.

If you go to Lawrence Flea Market in Toronto price wise you cannot distinguish if this is a flea market or antique market.

We cannot value anything old as antique because Ebay is there to compare.

I am sorry if I have too many complaints. As a visitor, I love Toronto, but as a collector old stuff ... I didn't find my needs here [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC