8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Ampro Stylist Up & Running again.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ampro Stylist Up & Running again.
frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2009 06:28 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to the Forum Members,

Here is a pic of my Ampro Stylist 16mm that has finally run this weekend for the 1st time in many years.
A 240v model, it passed all the tests with only a lubrication service needed to have it up & running again with full sound.
This is one my favourite vintage projectors & it's finally showing sound movies again after all these years.
It looks like an Alien or a Stick Insect & seems alive, coming to get you, so watch out.

dogtor pufferfish [Wink]
 -

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 12, 2009 11:33 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you not have do anything with the valve amp such as replace the capacitors etc. I would have thought they needed it by now.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2009 01:06 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My stylist was working well until my belt turned to goo, shouldn't be long on a new one now. My amp is also a project in the works, the sound works intermittently, the white noise is constant.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2009 06:41 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin & Damien

Luckily, I didn't need to do anything on this amp.
A second machine here has a problem with the sound exciter lens. The amp. works Ok on that one too but somethings blocking the light signal to the sensor & so it needs more work to fix the sound.
Here is a picture of the amazingly simple barrel shutter & the 750w Lamp on the Ampro. What a sharp & steady picture this machine produces.
The rewind is one of the fastest I have seen. You need to use good reels or disaster could strike during high speed rewind.

dogtor pufferfish [Razz]
 -

[ September 12, 2009, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2009 11:40 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always loved the barrel shutter! I bought my Ampro off an antiques dealer so it was only used for show, probably ran film twice in the 1950's. It's cosmetically pretty much perfect but suffers a couple of mechanical problems. The rewind button must be cracked somewhere inside because it doesn't hold down properly and one of the belt run runners on the takeup arm has a chip. Damn you bakelite [Frown]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 15, 2009 06:25 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Having one blade for the shutter obvioulsy gives good light throughput but dont you get some flicker?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2009 06:37 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ack, yes too much flicker now. I need help guys. I just got the new belt for my Ampro Stylist, put it on, plugged her in and... it ran at about silent speed, then I turned the lamp on, an it ran at half speed, I flicked it from sound to silent and the whole thing shuts off. The whole thing smells like hot projector too. What the heck is going on, is it time for a major electric service?

Ampro nuts, help me!

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2009 07:31 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Damien
Sounds like it may need oiling.
There are a few important oil holes on the machine, with red paint to mark them. One is on top near the framer & there are others, including inside the lamphouse
Make sure its oiled at all moving parts.

Let us know if you have any luck.
dogtor pufferfish [Razz]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha jeez, I feel like a massive idiot. Thank you so much Frank! she purrs like a kitten now [Smile]

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2009 01:36 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, here's a video. Its quite hard to make out since the video is such low quality, but there are some subtle differences on the Stylist Major, primarily, the sound drum flywheel was moved to the back side of the projector, and there was a "still frame" clutch added to the side of the lamp house, where the top belt pulley sits, where on the stylist there was just a raised circle.

Ampro Stylist Major Mk. II

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2009 04:26 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like the main difference on this machine is the "left handed" operating position and the backwards lettering!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2009 06:10 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Spotting Martin..

We must all Salute to the Major....
The left handed operation must have been a great selling feature of this reversed model but I imagine retooling costs would have been quite high that year. Maybe why they stopped making them.

A nice looking machine Damien....

dogtor pufferfish

[Razz]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2009 12:10 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I know, all my youtube videos suffer the same fate, even the 35mm is in reverse. Why would that be a feature people would want Apple! It's actually less effort to operate the projector while using a laptop as a camera, than it is to transfer video off a real one [Razz]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC