8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Distorted spools.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Distorted spools.
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Specifically, I have a excellent Tuscan 1600 foot plastic spool with a metal core which did have a crack in the rim. That was not a problem, thanks to super glue and fine sandpaper, but there is some distortion of the flanges causing a slight snatch at a couple of points on each rotation.
Is there a specific way of dealing with this on these plastic reels. Metal reels can usually be persuaded back to their original shape with manual dexterity, but I wondered if anyone has formulated a technique for these?

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 12, 2009 01:38 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some use a hair dryer to soften the plastic enough to reset it.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2009 01:40 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin,
I've had problems with the plastic spools and found this technique works for me,I cut some polystyrene blocks just wider than the gap across both sides of the reel,i gently warm the plastic evenly with a hot air gun and leave it for a couple of days with the poly blocks in place,remove them and that normally does the trick,tried it with some super 8 reels that were squashed and that seemed to do the trick on those as well...Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC