8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16MM Film and Developing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16MM Film and Developing
Amit Podjarny
Junior

- posted July 12, 2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Amit Podjarny   Email Amit Podjarny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-DEVELOPING-TANK-16mm-35mm-60mm-film-/320560209760?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4aa2e09f60

Can this item be used in homely environment?
How complicated is the usage?

|  IP: Logged

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2010 05:07 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Amit.
This tank is designed for still films.
As it will only take about 5 feet of film per spiral, it is of very limited use if you are thinking of developing movie film.
There is a tank that will process 50 feet of 16mm/8mm standard movie film.
These do come up for sale on ebay occasionally.

Hugh.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 12, 2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amit,

I don't think that item is for developing the 16mm we meant since the tank is too small.

I believe the today's stock is spooled at 100 feet minimum and that will be too long for that tank.

I would suggest you to use professional lab, such as Dwayne.

Click here :
http://dwaynesphoto.com/common/newforms/Movie_Film.pdf

It will cost you only $29 for 100 feet 16mm rather than spending $40 for an unknown result.

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Amit Podjarny
Junior

- posted July 13, 2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Amit Podjarny   Email Amit Podjarny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, it is for a video camera.
I rather develop myself since i do not live in the USA. Is it a complicated process for an amateur?

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2010 04:40 AM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Amit,

If your planning to develop B&W then yes.. It is the easiest of the chemical developing.. for example with B&W developing you put in developer then pour it out then put in fixer then pour that out and done!

although with color you have I believe 4 chemicals and you have to get the times and temperature MUCH MORE accurate for the result to come out as well.. And if your planning positive color film (E6) don't even think about it.. you have to have 6 chems and it has to be very accurate and it takes about 8 hours to do it one time.. whereas with B&W it's about 8 mins for developer (depends on film type) and 5 mins for fixer (depending on film type)

anyway.. hope this helps.. (this is for still film but I assume the chems and whatnot are (about) the same.)

I have been doing this for a few months now (with still film).

Hope it helps!
-Mikel Jenson

Raj Patel
Junior

- posted August 19, 2010 04:18 AM      Profile for Raj Patel   Email Raj Patel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Amit,

When you say for a video camera do you mean that you want to process the b&w negative then film it on a video camera? There are b&w reversal camera stocks which are easy enough to develop. Foma sells a kit to develop its 16mm fomapan.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC