8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Getting into 16mm (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Getting into 16mm
Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2011 08:57 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the equivelant U.S. number to the B&H 642?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2011 10:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 1680 slot loader? What year was it manufactured? Does anyone know? I alway thought slot loader B&H units started with 2500 series models. That's what I love about forums like this - new discoveries every day!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 26, 2011 08:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The year of intoduction for the 1680 was 1976. The other B/H 1680 slot loader I have is green in colour and has a broken worm, however other that the projector ran fine. I have no idea when the dark colour B/H "1680 GS" the one in the photo came out I guess it was a much later model.

The B/H 642 came out in 1962 and had a 240v l000watt lamp I think I used a 750watt at the time I used it. Those projectors could and were modified to take the mirror type tungsten halogen lamp. I remember reading about it somewhere [Roll Eyes] One of the reasons I gave it away was the amps it drew just for the lamp "it was like a mini heater" [Eek!] and nowhere as efficient as the more modern tungsten halogen lamp, not sure those old lamps are still available.

Graham.

Norman Allan
Junior

- posted May 01, 2011 06:16 AM      Profile for Norman Allan   Email Norman Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just acquired an old B&H 643 without a lamp and I had no idea whether it took a 110v or 250v lamp so I just took a chance and found a 250v 1000w one like this on e bay. Mine only cost £5
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-x-Osram-Projector-Lamp-A1-207-240v-1000W-New-Bx17-/400208372059?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item5d2e47215

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2011 07:04 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am fortunate enough to have received full training from an ex-B & H engineer living close by. I've worked on all models of B & H eplacing worm-drives etc. The TQI 655 is the best model, possibly the easiest to service. The TQII is the worst (even the B & H reps said this!) but they more than made up for this with the TQIII. Elf machines are okay but not as refined as any B & H machine. They are far more fine adjustments for the engineer to take advantage of on a B & H...there are very few on the Elf.

Norman Allan
Junior

- posted May 01, 2011 11:59 AM      Profile for Norman Allan   Email Norman Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are a very fortunate fellow indeed Mr McConway. I have just fallen in at the deep end and find it a very steep learning curve. The complexity of the machines is quite something but luckily both my B&H's have good worm gear.

Away back in the mists of time my father worked for a mobile cinema firm and they used nothing but Bell & Howell 16mm projectors up until their demise in 1970.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC