8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bauer P8TS or Elmo 16-CL or 16-AL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauer P8TS or Elmo 16-CL or 16-AL
Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2011 06:01 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I an now hooked to Super 8, and I would like to buy a 16mm projector. I would like to get some advice on the following machines, which is a the best option between a Bauer P8TS and ELMO 16-CL or Elmo 16-AL. Which demands the least maintenance and which is gentler with the film.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2011 11:58 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Between the Elmos I suggest the CL-16. Is a very quiet and gentle with the film machine. Also you can easily find spares. I do not know something about Bauer.
Good luck to your new begging.

Antonis

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2011 12:50 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Antonis, I have seen the Elmo 16-CL is very easy to find, and prices are very good even amazingly cheep if compare to Super 8 Elmo's, that's good for the eventual need of spare parts. The Bauer seems very interesting, but I don't know if its parts are easily available, at least here in Colombia they are unheard off.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 12, 2011 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Julian, I think you would find the Elmo CL more hands on fun than the Bauer, the CL just has something more about it I think.

I`d like one myself really even just to keep in the cupboard for the odd 16mm fix but a bit skint.

So just my feelings. but a nice cl with a good rear take up is a very nice machine to use.

Best Mark.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2011 06:21 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both the Elmo CL and Bauer P8 L, and I am currenly using the Bauer. The Elmo is a better machine, but the reason I use the Bauer is that the take-up reel is positioned above the machine. Thus you are able to put it further back to get a bigger picture. Another plus is that if you remove the cover for the filmpath there is a opening that shines the excess light from the sound lamp onto the filmpath. (Any good projectionist want to bee able to se the film running thru the projector, from 16MM and up) Yet another good thing is that when the film runs out, or breaks, the projector shuts of automatically. The biggest let-down is of course the lack of starting a film mid-way (easy to do on a slot load). Also the Elmo comes with a fixed 50MM lens, the Bauer with a 35-65MM zoom-lens.
So it really comes down to your space and how you like to set up your filmshows.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2011 08:02 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread in this forum will provide you with additional information.
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000635

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2011 09:59 AM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody for your answers.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC