8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bulb Corrosion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bulb Corrosion
Royce Marcus
Junior

- posted January 14, 2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Royce Marcus   Email Royce Marcus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys. I've really been into celluloid for a while and recently acquired some 8mm and 16mm home movies from relatives. I also managed to pick up a beautiful working Revere model 48 projector for free! When I turned it on though, I quickly noticed smoke coming out from where the bulb is stored. I immediately shut the projector off and unplugged it. After letting the bulb cool down I inspected it, and it appears that it was smoking because of pretty heavy corrosion around the base. In fact it's so bad, I'm unable to remove the bulb (I'm not trying to hard at this point because I don't want this thing to shatter in my hands just yet). So here's my question: I've been reading a bit on corrosion in light bulbs and some people suggest putting WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil around the corrosion and letting it sit for a day to try and loosen it up. Has anyone tried this? More importantly, is it safe to try this near the bulb and the electrics near it? I was always under the impression these sorts of chemicals where flammable and I am defiantly not trying to start a fire or have this whole thing explode in my face the next time I turn the bulb on. So has anyone had any experience with this or any other tips to loosen the bulb? Thanks!

-Royce

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2012 03:23 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would use any of those products in that instance. Radio Shack sells a spray that is designed to deal with corrosion on electrical parts. I'd try that.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Do not use WD 40 or 3 in one
Safety

WD-40 Aerosol: DANGER! Flammable aerosol. Contents under pressure. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. If
swallowed, may be aspirated and cause lung damage. May cause eye irritation. Avoid eye contact. Use
with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.
WD-40 Bulk Liquid: DANGER! Combustible liquid . Harmful or fatal if swallowed. If swallowed, may be
aspirated and cause lung damage. May cause eye irritation. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.
Symptoms of Overexposure:
Inhalation: High concentrations may cause nasal and respiratory irritation and central nervous system effects
such as headache, dizziness and nausea. Intentional abuse may be harmful or fatal.
Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.
Eye Contact: Contact may be irritating to eyes. May cause redness and tearing.
Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting
and diarrhea. This product is an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death.
Chronic Effects: None expected.
Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Preexisting eye,

3 in one Oil

– Fire Fighting Measures

Extinguishing Media: Use water fog, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or foam. Do not use water jet or flooding
amounts of water. Burning product will float on the surface and spread fire.
Special Fire Fighting Procedures: Firefighters should always wear positive pressure self-contained
breathing apparatus and full protective clothing in areas where chemicals are used and stored. Cool fireexposed containers with water.
Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards: Slightly combustible liquid. If heated above the flashpoint, will release
flammable vapors that can present a fire or explosion hazard

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC