8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Shipping from Canada to the UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shipping from Canada to the UK
Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2012 01:58 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
I purchased a 16mm film from a guy in Canada. I paid on the 16th of Feb and he left feedback on the 22nd. I noticed that he hadn't marked the item as dispatched so I contacted him on the 13th March to confirm he's posted it. He said he had posted it promptly and would see if he still had the tracking details.

I haven't heard anything since. Is it unusual for films sent from North America to take 4 weeks or more to get to the UK? Might it be held up in customs?

I might be a bit paranoid but after getting ripped off previously by an American seller with 100% positive feedback I am a bit concerned!

Thanks,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2012 02:34 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know things to the U.K. can take a while sometimes. Usually when a buyer asks me where their package is, it shows up the next day. It is not unusual for films to take 4-5 weeks for delivery...sometimes it can take only one week, but 4-5 has happened for me several times. And remember, just because you paid on the 16th, does not mean he shipped then either. He may have left feedback before he even went to the post office.

Since the seller has not replied in a week as promised, I'd open a case for a refund. That will make him get off the pot and have to show proof of shipping. IF all turns out well and the print arrives in a few days you can drop the case and just let him know you were covering your bases to be safe since communications had stopped.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2012 08:06 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I agree with Wayne. Seven days is more than enough time to have checked for the tracking number and send it to you.

Better yet, the seller should have uploaded the tracking information to eBay at the time of shipping.

Good luck,

Jon

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2012 01:27 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my advice is stick with the uk sellers theres plenty of good titles here in the uk

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 21, 2012 02:14 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my advice is stick with the uk sellers theres plenty of good titles here in the uk

When it comes to 16mm, the US has vastly more titles than what's available in the UK.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2012 04:10 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
thanks for your replies.

It didn't turn up but I've just got a refund from the seller.
All's well that ends well.

Pity though; was looking forward to getting a copy of 'Deliverance'. [Frown]

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 29, 2012 06:41 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave the film" Deliverance " has been on a few dealers lists inc.
Buckingham Films, it might be in your interesests to give Tony
Reypert a ring.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2012 11:22 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,
the good news (and Sod's Law) is that today i've received a letter from Parcelforce saying that the item has been held up in customs. I've had to pay an additional £30 but at least I'm getting the film.

Even better is that I now know the seller was honest, and likewise he will know the same about me when I make the payment to him again.

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC