8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Cine Kodak 16mm Editing Kit (1941)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cine Kodak 16mm Editing Kit (1941)
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 22, 2012 01:03 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I needed a viewer to preview all the old family 16mm films I just acquired. I found and bought this Cine Kodak Editing Kit which came in a little hinged box. I think I bought it more out of curiousity. I started cleaning it on the outside with some Armorall and then ventured inside the box. It didn't look like any viewer/editor I've ever seen before and smelled like the inside of my grandfather's old banjo case [Smile] I took the gate and viewer apart...cleaned the lenses and reassembled. Now the test. No directions...but it was fairly intuitive to how to add the reels...the reel handles... and thread it. Turned the light on...and started turning the take-up reel. It worked like a champ! I was able to catolog 27 of the 50 reels yesterday.

It's interesting that this viewer/editor is older than the films I'm editing [Smile]

I'm not too clear on how the splicer works yet. I'm hoping I can find some directions on a similar one...but I have a Kodak Universal Presstape Splicer that I can use. [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 24, 2012 11:26 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finished up cataloging all the reels last night. It was exciting to see some footage of my Great-Grand Parents. There was also a short clip of I think is an old movie star. On the film box it says Walter Pigeon, Palm Springs [Cool]

I'm working at getting the vintage smell out of the Kodak editing box...filled it with some potpourri and closed it up [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 29, 2012 07:07 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching a couple YouTube videos on cement splicers....I was able to figure out how to use the Kodak Senior Splicer that came with this editing kit. It came with a bottle of cement, so I gave it a try. I've only used Presstapes up until now. They are fast...but when you have a lot of spicing to do, it can get expensive. The cement takes a little longer with the drying time..but I like the results. I'm pretty sure I can use it for doing my R8mm films too.

--------------------
Janice

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2012 04:27 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for these updates, It's such a nice little editing kit!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 30, 2012 01:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald... Thanks for commenting. I wasn't sure if anyone was reading this thread. My venture into the world of 16mm has been a bit rocky....in that my first projector...the Elmo 16-CL was DOA... but things are progressing better now. Lately I've been having a lot more luck buying equipment that is over 50 years old. This editing kit is great...and I found a Keystone K-160 projector (circa 1951) in working order that has variable speed. I finally have enough equipment to do my 16mm transfers.

[ March 30, 2012, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Sam DeMaranville
Junior

- posted February 11, 2016 09:56 AM      Profile for Sam DeMaranville   Email Sam DeMaranville   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice , I have the same Editor, with a manual. Love it . I use cement also, and trust it more than tape.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2016 10:08 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the same editor. It is a nice little unit. I just wish the screen was a bit larger. I don't have the Manual either.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 11, 2016 01:41 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow! Hard to believe I started this thread almost 4 years ago. That little Kodak editor was great at the time. None of my reels were over 400ft so it did the job. Since then I've gotten into 16mm features which require larger capacity rewinds. I still have the Kodak editor, but about a year ago I attached these Bell & Howell rewinds to a board with a Craig viewer I restored. I now prefer presstapes for splicing.

-

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC