8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Wayne Sarnowski

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wayne Sarnowski
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 24, 2012 07:35 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
What ever became of Wayne Sarnowski in Indiana,I'm only asking
because I've had some great films off him in the past and he
seems to have gone off the radar?He did used to advertise in the
"Big Reel",(is this still published?)and had quite extensive lists of
some very good titles on 16mm.

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 24, 2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops....go do a search on the 16mm forum, Hugh. It might be revealing.
[Smile]

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2012 03:06 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His brother (Brian) same address is still selling film on ebay.

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2012 03:48 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to buy a good deal from WS many years ago but eventually gave up as receiving the film I had ordered and paid for was not guaranteed.
BTW trying the search as suggested by Mike only leads to this posting.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 25, 2012 05:11 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the same short shrift too Joe,and was told by "metal mickey"
If I can't provide members full name...case is closed.Well seeing
as I wasn't present at the Christening I can't see any result there,
isn't technology wonderful.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 25, 2012 05:27 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe and Hugh,

I am referring to this forum:

http://16mmfilmtalk.com

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2012 07:46 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He goes by shoeski52 on ebay looks like he is still selling bought many films from him years ago that came in pizza boxes... new one of course [Smile] http://www.ebay.com/sch/shoeski52/m.html

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 25, 2012 09:33 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael and Joe,It was just curiosity as to what had become of him.It's good to know the lad is still among us.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 25, 2012 12:56 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks also to you Jim,as you rightly say he's trading away on
ebay.It was just so long since I had heard anything from or about
him I feared the worst.Glad he's OK.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2012 01:42 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, if you got new, clean pizza boxes you were lucky. I got the ones with crumbs & napkins in them.

Hugh, I'm not going to beat a dead horse (much). Being it has been a while since you last purchased a film from Sarnowski, I'll just say don't be surprised if you don't get a film in as great of condition as he says it is in. And just so you know, none of his films have VS, it happens only in the few days that the film is in the mail. Or at least that is how he rudely puts it when you mention the VS the film has you just bought.

I will give him credit, he is finally using real pictures on ebay. Although it will be mandatory to use pictures/images in order to sell...

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 25, 2012 03:26 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Wayne,it has been quite a while since I last purchased
any film from him,but the ones I did,I still have in my collection
like "Five Man Army" IB Tech,"For a Few Dollars More"
"Monty Walsh"'scope but faded(sold as such),so I expect his
technique has deteriorated to say the least.The chap I was buying
from then I found very good and honest in his description of film.Mind you, to be fare,their are still some dealers
out there that charge a fortune for film that is a long way from
what is described,and Derann were also guilty of this.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 26, 2012 11:56 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I should follow this up by saying that any films purchased from
Perry's,CHC,Buckingham are always as described and fair priced
and people need have no fears there.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would concur with Wayne's cautions, as I've only been ripped off twice in a decade of eBaying, and a troublesome transaction with him was one of them. In short, I bought a 16mm print and found it far more worn and unacceptably scratched than listed; when I complained about it not being as described, I was rudely rebuffed that I can't possibly expect a film that old to be in wonderful condition (baloney! it was a dishonest listing, and later I eventually found a FAR better print of that very title); finally, after multiple delays, he said to ship the film back and he'd issue a refund. You see where this is going. No refund, delays aplenty, so filing complaints with eBay was useless (60 days had conveniently elapsed), and not even a chance to leave negative feedback.

I've noted then and since that he has a steady stream of unusual films and reels to sell, and plenty of satisfied customers, but I'd sure use significant caution. Glad to hear there used to be a good reputation. I guess.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2012 12:56 AM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About ten years ago I purchased a cartoon from him. I sent a postal money order the next day and waited and waited... Now I only live a few hours away so after four weeks I sent him an email just to find out what happened. I got back a two page diatribe telling me what a pathetic loser I was crying over my lousy cartoon when he had so much more important things to do... I was dumbfounded. In the amount of time it took for him to create his reply, he could have easily gotten my film ready to ship. I wrote him back that he need not worry, I would never bother him again by buying anything from him. I also told him if I didn't get my film in two days I would drive to his house to collect it. I got the film two days later. What a nut.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 01, 2012 04:18 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well obviously the man is what we would call "a dead wrong 'un"
and should be kept at arms length.Jim has very kindly let you
all know the moniker he trades under on ebay.Actually,there should be someway we can form a list of these bastards,so that
other folk can be wise before the event.Ebay are in my humble
opinion letting these people steal carte blanche and no comeback
on them.If they are advertising on their website then surely they
must accept some responsibility,what happened to consumer rights?

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2012 03:09 AM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid Hugh consumer law here in the UK is different for auctions,when dealing on the 'Bay CAVEAT EMPTOR!! is the watchword.

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2012 12:30 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some old "Tony Randall Show" episodes from Mr. Sarnowski several years ago that were actually in pretty decent shape. The prints were shipped in crappy cans (I didn't care about the cans - I don't keep them anyway) that served their purpose where shipping is concerned, but the prints were in excellent condition and had great color and sound. They did have a hint of VS to them, but I wasn't as educated about VS back then as I am now. The shipping took about a month (I paid with a money order) which is why I would shy away from buying from him (them) in the future. I still have the prints and they have held up quite nicely. So, all in all, not a horrible experience, but certainly not one of my best. I'd say neutral.

John Pechulis
Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2012 10:17 PM      Profile for John Pechulis   Email John Pechulis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
shoeski52 is a downright bum. I only had one dealing with the guy but that was enough.

It took 3 months to finally get the film I won in the auction after several emails to him and ebay. He basically called me an impatient loser.

When the film finally did get here, is was faded completely red and wreaked of VS. Summer heat will do that if not stored properly!

He has had some interesting films which I would have liked to have puchased, but I refuse to deal with the bum!

--------------------
History frozen in the frames of film

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2016 11:39 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I've actually had a couple of great transactions with Wayne now. The prices were low, so the risk was too, the service was quick, the films as described, and his communications, though scant in length, were friendly. Even courteously resolved an issue with the most recent order.

Recommended, with caution if you feel the need, but credit needs to be given where credit is due.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC