8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Film Preservative (Humidifying) Solution

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Preservative (Humidifying) Solution
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 18, 2012 02:31 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would open a new thread which might attract more attention.

In my copy of the BJ (British Journal Photographic) Almanac of 1960 here are details to make up a solution described as "Film Preservaion (or "Humidfying" solution)"

Glycerol..................................1 & 1/2 oz
Distilled water...........................7 oz
Camphor...................................1 oz
Menthol...................................1/2 oz
Ethyl alcohol or other spirits............2 oz
Oil of eucalyptus.........................1 oz
Oil of gaultheria (Wintergreen)...........1/4 oz
Oil of thyme..............................1/4 oz
Oil of baptisia...........................1/4 oz
Oil of mint (garden mint or peppermint)...1/4 oz

Add the glycerol to the distilled water and throroughly mix to make Solution A. Dissolve camphor and menthol in the spirit to make solution B. Mix the oils together and add to B. Add B to A.

Shake well before using. A few drops on the pad of a 400ft humidor can is adequate. Store the film in a cool place.

As mentioned in another thread, such cans were usually aluminium and had a perforated sleeve in the bottom which contained a pad (blotting paper?) which was gently sprinked with a few drops of the liquid.

Being apart from the film and spool, only the vapour reached the film.

Any takers?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2012 03:12 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Film humidifier used to be sold through photographic dealers by Johnsons of Hendon. The instructions for use stated put a few drops, using the eye dropper included in the bottle on blotting paper or the humidifier pad often built into the film can, and then close the lid. It certainly seemed to work well with old film, and did not appear to affect colour film. Ken Finch.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2012 08:39 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is fascinating.

Thanks Maurice.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2013 09:28 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, this same formula appears in my copy of 'Cine Photography for Amateurs' by J.H. Reyner (2nd edition, 1935). It would be interesting to try it. My book says a teaspoon is enough for a 400ft reel. Up until the end of the 60s any chemist would have made it up for you. Now everything is pre-packaged. I wonder how it compares with more recent cleaners and preservers?

John Romein
Junior

- posted June 05, 2014 06:27 PM      Profile for John Romein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried this? What sort of results? Is this similar to replasticing or redimension processes?

I have a 8mm film that is very dry and shrunken (stored in an attic in the topics for many years).

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2014 01:03 AM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had good results soaking a shrunken 8mm film in demineralised water.
I wouldn't recommend it as a general thing, but it worked for my film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC