8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Elmo 16-CL rewind speed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo 16-CL rewind speed
Randy Wheeler
Junior

- posted January 05, 2013 07:48 AM      Profile for Randy Wheeler   Email Randy Wheeler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got an Elmo 16-CL in and noticed that the rewind speed is slow, basically the same speed as the forward play speed. I have another 16-CL and a TRV-16G and the rewind speeds on both of those are much faster. Seems like it is the take-up arm the is causing the problem since I can see the feeder arm spinning much faster than the take-up arm when no reels are on them in the rewind mode.

Randy

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2013 03:35 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you opened up the feed arm and checked the belt, dried grease, and the tensioner? That would be my first suggestion.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Randy Wheeler
Junior

- posted January 05, 2013 03:49 PM      Profile for Randy Wheeler   Email Randy Wheeler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The feeder arm spins fast when rewinding by itself, its the take-up arm that stays at the same speed when rewinding and holds back the feeder arm speed. As soon the film is rewound off the take-up arm, the feeder arm spins much faster, like it should when being rewound normally with both arms. Why do you suspect that something is wrong with the feeder arm?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2013 04:04 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually if there is something wrong with the take up arm you will see the effects during projection, since it will either take up too loosely or something else...in rewind mode it is the feed arm doing the "pulling" so if there is a problem that is where I'd start, but you should open up both arms to look at what is happening when you are rewinding.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Randy Wheeler
Junior

- posted January 08, 2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Randy Wheeler   Email Randy Wheeler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said in my previous posts, it's the take-up arm that is slowing down the rewind speed of the feeder arm. Is the take-up arm supposed to completely disengage (not spin) because it still spins at the regular playback speed in rewind mode while the feeder arm is spinning much faster.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 10, 2013 01:37 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, the take-up arm is supposed to keep spinning even in rewind as this is what will help with tensioning of the film during the process. However, giving a good check and clean of both inner workings of each arm and checking the feeder arm tensioner, as Dino suggests, could help solve the issue.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2013 06:04 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Is the take up arm belt flat?
Elmo revised the take up to a new toothed belt
I have theses in stock
See my web site
Take Up Kits $68.20
Consists of: (1) 4M41097B Pulley Take Up Shaft
(1) 6VSS2M438 Synchro Belt Take Up
(1) 4P8CL0038B Take Up Shaft Assy.

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC