8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What's the Quietest 16mm Projector? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's the Quietest 16mm Projector?
Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 12:47 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about an Elmo 16-CL... How are they for noise level?
What's the general opinion on other makes and models?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 22, 2013 01:38 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...see reply below [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 22, 2013 01:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like hearing the hum of the motor and film feeding through the projector...but if the clatter is too loud that can be distracting. When I first got my Elmo 16-CL I heard a very loud clatter...but that was due to a badly cracked gear [Mad] But once that was replaced...the motor and gears ran very smoothly and quiet. The film takes a simple direct path through the gate and the sound head which minimalizes machine noise. I don't know if it's the quietest 16mm projector...but I don't think you'd be disappointed choosing this model.

--------------------
Janice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 03:03 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that. Started with a Bauer P7 Synchron myself, but have now gone to only using this Elmo 16-CL with the amazingly easy slot load ... Super machine in my book

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 07:47 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear.
I'm going to try to look at one today that's for sale. What do you think is a fair price range to pay for one of these?

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 08:00 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine from Germany and I think it was about 100 Euro or there around. See them going for 200+ USD and guess 200 ain't too bad a price. Well worth it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELMO-16mm-s ound-projector-Model-16-CL-Good-Condition-/181161301958?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item2a2e0e17c6

Or maybe this :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elmo-Optical-Sound-Channel-Loading-16mm-Film-Movie-Projector-Model-16-CL-16CL-/400414337232?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item5d3a8de8d0

Do lack the side panel, but not too important and there's another one listed for parts on eBay. Combine the two for a nice one with spares to boost

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 08:06 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Vidar -
Here's the Elmo I'm going to try to get in to see today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111080206140?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 08:18 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks nice, go for it, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with it. The easy loading and unloading is worth it, at least for me. Editing and such, much easier to see the result, just load it right before the splice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 22, 2013 09:16 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee...I got mine for $150 including shipping from Canada. Like I said it arrived with a cracked gear and rollers that had turned to goo. The gooy rollers is common with these machines. I would ask this seller if he has tested it with film and what are the condition of the rollers. It cost $100 to replace the rollers. You can locate missing cover plates...they can run $30-$60. These repairs can add up fast. So I would ask more questions before bidding on this one.

--------------------
Janice

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice. I will.

As to the cover plate, I think it includes one. In several of the pictures it shows the projector without one but in several others it's there...

Forgive my newbie question but how could I determine the condition of the rollers when I look at the machine?

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 09:28 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't I guess ... Seller need to be honest with this

The one you looked at was stated as in good working order, wasn't it? And it had a make an offer button too?

And the one you looked at has the cover on some pictures, so I think you have a complete machine there

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 22, 2013 09:56 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask the seller to touch the rollers with his finger and let you know if any black rubber comes off or if the surface is dry and smooth. You want dry and smooth [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 10:37 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quietest 16mm projector is, without a doubt, one that is SHUT off!! [Big Grin]

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 12:12 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to see it in person, bring a reel of film that you can spare if it gets some frames ruined. Threaded it up and try it out.

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 04:56 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I just looked at the Elmo and cosmetically it's beautiful.
However the rollers are turning gummy. Is this a big expense to replace?

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 22, 2013 04:59 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elmo-Projector-16mm-16-CL-16-AL-4-Rubber-Roller-Tire-Set-Refurbishing-Service-/140673251314?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item20c0c777f2

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 05:24 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Vidar and Janice.

I think I need to walk away from this one. The seller won't budge below $200.00 and for that price I want to be able to run film on it right away...not looking for a project.

Lee

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 22, 2013 06:04 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a good decision Lee. The Elmo 16-CL is a popular 16mm projector and I think you can find one for around $150. Keep looking [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2013 11:08 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was the first Elmo 16-CT I'd seen and overall I'm very impressed by it. Looks like ill try to find a good one of these somewhere.

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2013 07:15 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think about this one? Priced high but seems like a good machine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171064629699

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 24, 2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The eBay ad says "This unit has incredibly little use" and yet it's had time to lose its originally supplied Elmo 800' spool which normally lives in the recess at the rear.

The rubber rollers look OK, but it's still quite a high price.

If you are happy with bidding or paying the Buy-It-Now price then it would appear to be acceptable.

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2013 08:47 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good catch Maurice. I hadn't boticed the missing original reel.

I've contacted the seller and made an offer at a bit better price. We'll see what he says...

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2013 01:09 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,

I think I might be too late but I have a Kodak Pageant and an EIKI SSL-O and have to say, the EIKI is super quiet and a delight to use. Also, I lucked out as I only paid $50 for it and had to pick it up locally [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
ET

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2013 02:53 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Elyas. However I just bought the Elmo at a price lower than they listed it for. Still more than I wanted to pay for one of these but it sure looks to be a very well preserved machine.

Ill let you know when I get it what kind of shape it's really in...

Lee

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2013 08:25 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took delivery of the 16-CL today and it seems to be perfect. I've been running film for the past few hours and its working flawlessly.

Now - The only thing it is missing is the stock Elmo take-up reel that snaps into the back of the projector... Anyone have a lead on one of these?

Thanks,
Lee

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC