8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Correct direction for film projection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Correct direction for film projection
Claude Lyneis
Junior

- posted July 07, 2013 07:08 PM      Profile for Claude Lyneis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Lyneis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a short film which is Kodak Tri-X negative film for high speed recording. One side looks dull, the other side shiny. It has sprocket holes on both sides. It is not obvious from the content which direction the film should flow.There are markings along the edge. I am guessing if the film is laid out so the markings read left to right, then the film should also move from left to right. Does that sound correct? Should the dull side of the Tri-X negative film face the projector lamp?

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2013 12:31 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally when projecting film: shiny in, dull out.

The shiny side of the film should face the projector lamp

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 02:47 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, the image will be upside down coming off the feed spool.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 08, 2013 10:23 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

Normally reversal film gets projected. Negatives are used for making prints. If you plan on striking a print from this negative be very careful about scratching the film during projection.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2013 10:42 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, thank God you're here, that's the point I missed, NEGATIVE,
DON'T PROJECT THIS PIECE OF FILM, as there is the chance of spoiling any future prints, well done Douglas.Phew.

Claude Lyneis
Junior

- posted July 10, 2013 12:50 AM      Profile for Claude Lyneis   Author's Homepage   Email Claude Lyneis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the comments. It seems unanimous that the dull side is the emulsion and should face the lens, not the lamp. The film was wound on a reel so that threading it through put the emulsion side toward the lamp and it apparently played backwards. (the content is water droplets in slow motion with no up or down so it is not easy to tell.) I then ran it the other direction and time seemed to flow in the right direction. I guess to get the emulsion facing the lens, would require hand winding it with half a twist. The fate of the film is to make a transfer to digital media and then it will probably be dumped. So a few scratches are not a big issue. Anyway I will know better next time.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2013 01:39 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

You've got it wrong.

The dull side is the emulsion and it should not face the lens.

The dull side is the emulsion and it's always on the outside of the reel of film

The shiny side is the base.

When winding the film, the emulsion (dull) goes on the outside of the reel and the base (shiny) goes on the inside of the reel.

Thus, the base (shiny) faces the lamp. The shiny side is the inside wrapping of the film on the reel.

The emulsion is dull. It faces the outside of the reel or meaning the
dull side faces the screen > forward.

The Base is shiny and < back toward the lens.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 10, 2013 02:46 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest that Michael's comments refer to positive film, but in this case the film is negative stock, therefore the emulsion goes towards the lamp.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC