8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » EDUCATIONAL FILMS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EDUCATIONAL FILMS
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2013 09:18 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,

I just scored at a yard sale yesterday about 150 16mm McGraw-Hill educational library Films of various subjects & titles with projector for $50.00. The films look to be from the 60's & 70's.

The films have all turned but the can and reels are in great shape!
Most of them are all mounted on 1200ft reels, 800ft, 400ft, 1600ft & 2000ft reels.
A lot of them are on Goldberg reels & cans.

My question is what is the fastest way to remove the film from the reels? I know I have my work cut out for me since there are about 150 films.

Thank you,
RS

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger
Why do you want to remove the films from the spools? Are you perhaps going to junk the films and sell off all the spools and cans?

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 02:51 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, hate if that happens

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 03:26 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Izzy Wizzy, lets get busy, a wave of said wand, puff of smoke,
job done.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2013 03:47 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

Then what should I do with all these films? The subject matter is of no interest to me. I can use about 20 of the cans for my own films. I really hate to destroy any films but I thought I could perhaps sell the reels and cans but maybe I should give this idea some more thought? Any suggestions that might be helpful would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
RS

RS

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 03:58 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose you don't have a lot of cores? Could put them on cores and give them away for the cost of cores and shipping

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 14, 2013 05:25 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cut a piece of cardboard the size of a 2000' reel. Make a hole in the center but a little smaller that the spindle. Press it onto the spindle all the way. Now take the head of the film and wrap it around spindle by hand until tight. Start the projector keeping your hand against the film as it winds against the cardboard. When it's done tape the end then carefully remove the cardboard and film from the spindle. Put tape across the film and around the edge. Lay the film taped side down on a flat surface Remove the cardboard and tape across both sides of film. Do this twice (make and X). There you have it. No cores needed and film is in tails out ready to be put on a spool by next owner. This works well because I did it many times when I collected 16mm.

Have fun!

PatD

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 02:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger

Do not waste your time spooling off, just sell the spools in cans at an attractive price and advertise with free film attached.

Explain that the purchaser is having a lucky dip, it will attract more interest.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 04:32 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always a pity to destroy films. If it can be avoided, espeacially when one of us is involved...

--------------------
Dominique

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 07:50 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone suggested cores Roger, why not spool them up on
cores and sell then as a "lucky dip" in batches. Folks will still buy
them if the price is right, it saves your films and a little bit of
pocket money for yourself.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 08:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything will sell if the price is right.

--------------------
Maurice

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 01:07 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks for all your suggestions & feedback everyone and you can be rest assured that I won't destroy any of the films so now you can all get a good night's sleep.

RS

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 15, 2013 02:09 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel much better now [Roll Eyes]

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 03:33 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger....A number of years ago I obtained a large collection of 16mm educational films. I have since watched almost all of them...some are boring some are really good and the conditions really vary from spliced up nightmare to almost perfect and color from RED to beautiful. Some of the nice ones I put in my collection to keep and the others I just couldn't bring myself to throw them away. Almost as if they are just resting now in my basement after a hard life on the school projector...

If I get a new/used film now and it has a bent up reel or needs a can I just switch out the reel or use a can from the worn out educational films. I just can't throw a film away no matter what shape it's in.

Bill [Smile]

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2013 04:20 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Bill,
I have watched some of them and some are on LP Estar Film stock
and the color is really superb. Some not so good but they are in pretty good shape because they are all from the the college library. I found inside a few of the cans a price sicker listing the rental fees from the distributor and also a purchase price. They vary but the rental fee is about $25-35 and the price for a 800ft educational film is $290.00. I was shocked that a college back in the 70's could afford to pay that much for an educational boring film.

Most of them are on 1200ft reels. Some titles are: Leoardo Da Vinci on 2 reels. Shakespeare Soul of Age on 2 reels.
Michelangelo The Last Giant on 2 reels, Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. And here is one for you Pat "Active People Over 60"

I will probably just keep them will give me something new to watch. I might post some of the titles to see if anyone might be interested in any of them?
RS

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC