8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Threading problem with Elmo 16-CL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Threading problem with Elmo 16-CL
Vijayavardhan Baireddy
Junior

- posted July 16, 2013 12:56 PM      Profile for Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Author's Homepage   Email Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought an Elmo 16-CL on ebay. Unfortunately, there is a problem with film threading. When I opened the projector, I noticed some piece (might be some part broken). Could you help me in debugging the problem.

-
The above image shows the roller position which does not match the ideal position shown in the manual

I found the following piece when I opened the projector:
 -

The size of the metal piece wrt the sound knob is shown below:
 -

When knob is at 3o Clock:
 -

When the know is at 12o clock:
 -

Thanks & Regards
Vijay

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Louis Seguin
Junior

- posted July 16, 2013 02:02 PM      Profile for Jean-Louis Seguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the Elmo 16CL service manual on this site.
Pages 9 and 10.
Fig. 5
Part ID 18
Part number: P412166B
Holder Link 3

Jean-Louis

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need someone with either knowledge or a comparable
projector to try to solve this problem.Are the any users of this machine out there?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 03:42 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is difficult to see from your photographs but it seems that there is a problem with the entry roller assembly.

To assist initial threading the whole assembly is at 2 o'clock position when the control knob is at its twelve o'clock position.

After inserting film the bracket (with roller) moves down to the 4 o'clock position as the control knob is turned to its three o'clock position.

Your photos show no change of movement when the control knob is turned.

--------------------
Maurice

Vijayavardhan Baireddy
Junior

- posted July 17, 2013 03:26 AM      Profile for Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Author's Homepage   Email Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jean-Louis. I could not find the Elmo 16CL service manual on this site. Could you mail me the link. I found one here:
http://www.acofs.org.au/part_5_files/Elmo/Tech%2016%20CL.pdf
But the image quality is very bad. Your message helped me to locate the problem. Please let me know the link to the service manual on this site.

The location of the problem:
 -

With the broken piece kept in the proper place, the 12o clock position does not look good. Please let me know if you see any other problem.

3 0CLock
 -

12 oclock
 -

======================
Thank you, Maurice Leakey. I have added some more pictures, please do let me know if you see the problem:

With knob at 3 o clock:
 -

With knob at 12 o clock:
 -

================
Thank you, Hugh Thompson Scott, for helping me with the request.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 04:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The control knob does a lot of work! However, looking at the two last pictures they show the top sprocket guard in contact with the sprocket in both positions of the control knob.

Position 12 o'clock is the threading position and the sprocket guard should be clear of the sprocket to allow insertion of the film.

Position 3 o'clock brings the guard back down on the sprocket to retain the film, at this position the motor starts.

As you bought this on eBay I recommend that you return to the seller for a refund, unless it was advertised as not fully working.

--------------------
Maurice

Vijayavardhan Baireddy
Junior

- posted July 17, 2013 04:26 AM      Profile for Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Author's Homepage   Email Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Maurice. I got cheated by the seller. It was supposed to be a refurbished piece.
Is there a way of repairing it?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 05:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's just an adjustment I suppose it could be repaired, but if it needs a new part, it could be very difficult, if not impossible, to buy.

Return it to the seller and get your money back.

--------------------
Maurice

Vijayavardhan Baireddy
Junior

- posted July 17, 2013 05:12 AM      Profile for Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Author's Homepage   Email Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Maurice. I have lost that opportunity of returning it. Now, I have no way other than repairing it.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2013 05:16 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did you purchase it?. I think Paypal allows you 30 days in which to open a case against the seller. Sorry that you had such a bad deal.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 05:16 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pity.

As I said before, the main control knob does a lot a things through various linkages, I suggest you try and trace them back to see if it's a simple problem which you can solve.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
Maurice

Vijayavardhan Baireddy
Junior

- posted July 17, 2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Author's Homepage   Email Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did file a case with ebay. The seller requested me to close it and promised that he would help me in getting it working. I just believed him (as he has 100% ). That was my mistake. Now, the seller even stopped responding to my emails. Once ebay case was closed, even paypal could not help me. I have filed another case with my credit card company. Hope they will be able to help me.

Meanwhile, I thought I would try to get it repaired. If it works, then I am fine with closing the case.

Thank you all for your support. I will just wait for Jean-Louis Seguin's response to check if there are any more inputs.

Jean-Louis Seguin
Junior

- posted July 17, 2013 07:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Louis Seguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just scroll down the left side column and you'll see MANUALS.
The Elmo is there and it is the same as the one at ACOFS.

If that doesn't work, try:
http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/?category=2

For the replacement part try to contact Richard Patchett
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Jean-Louis

Vijayavardhan Baireddy
Junior

- posted July 17, 2013 08:40 AM      Profile for Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Author's Homepage   Email Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jean-Louis. Do I need to replace anything other than P412166B. Please let me know.

Jean-Louis Seguin
Junior

- posted July 18, 2013 03:54 PM      Profile for Jean-Louis Seguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Locate the large pin that the broken part connects to.
When you push it all the way to the front, the top sprocket shoe should open up to allow threading of the film.
If this part is jammed, then that is perhaps the reason the part broke in the first place. You'll need to investigate this.

Jean-Louis

Vijayavardhan Baireddy
Junior

- posted July 18, 2013 11:56 PM      Profile for Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Author's Homepage   Email Vijayavardhan Baireddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jean-Louis. I tried that and the top sprocket shoe should opened. So, the part looks fine. Hope replacing this part will do.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC