8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Ampro Stylist 16mm at thrift store

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ampro Stylist 16mm at thrift store
James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2013 04:26 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm sick lol and couldn't pass on an Ampro Stylist 16mm tube sound projector I saw at the thrift store. I think I paid a lot for it ($38 USD w tax), but it was too interesting/beautiful to pass on. It is one beautiful piece!!

I have the slot load elmo and eiki models and 50 or so films already so I bought it just to have. I have not powered it up yet as my cold wiring inspection showed that the cord to the exciter lamp has bare wires. I'm going to replace that and see what she does.

Any ideas on safely powering these up? For tube stuff I use a Variac to power stuff up, but my Variac is only 500w. This Ampro has the biggest, largest, most intimidating bulb I've ever seen!!! DFD 1000watts?!!!!!!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

|  IP: Logged

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2013 05:54 PM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James -
The Ampro's are very cool looking. How about a picture?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 21, 2013 07:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not James's particular machine, but here is a great photo of the awesome Ampro:

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2013 08:53 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a picture of my newly acquired Ampro Sylist sitting on top of my Fender Rhodes piano (sadly the Ampro is missing a tiny bakelite knob:

-

The case with speaker is in the shed out back--the wood needs to be sured up, but the speaker looks great!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2013 12:07 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James - That looks awesome!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 22, 2013 02:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James
Use your Variac to check the motor and, then, the amplifier.
Make sure you do not turn on the lamp! You can always check it with a meter, although a close visual inspection will reveal if the filament is intact.

--------------------
Maurice

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2013 11:11 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lee and Paul! And thanks Maurice, that sounds like a good plan for the Variac power up. Hopefully I have time during the work week to cut up a brown extension cord to use as wire for the exciter socket. It looks like there are only 4v, but 3/4 amps going to it. I'll keep everyone posted once I get somewhere! Hopefully the tube amp isn't shot--recapping a tube amp is one of those all night weekend projects for me...lol!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2013 11:36 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replaced the exciter lamp wiring and 3 other frayed wires inside, removed/inspected the amp and brought it to life on my Variac. Tubes warmed up and exciter bulb lit!--no hum whatsoever!! ( I used my bell and howell speaker as a load for the tube amp) The capacitors are good! Pulled film manually around drum and heard it! I brought the motor up slowly and heard bad scrapping at 50volts. The cooling fan needed to be adjusted--no more scrapping all the way to 115 v!! Motor sounds great. Plugged it in the wall and the 1000w projection lamp lit up!! I am very happy so far!

Noticed that the motor belt inside is missing--anyone have a picture on how to route that belt and where I can source one? ( is it rubber, cloth???). I'm thinking it goes from the lamphouse to the motor with the idler pressing on the back of he belt.

Also noted that there's a selenium rectifier in there and thinking I need to replace I with a diode and resistor for safety.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2013 11:58 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that belt on Ebay for the Ampro Sylist is close to $30! Anyone ever used a standard flat o-ring belt 12" L x 5/6" W?

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2013 10:10 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received the drive belt for the Ampro Stylist today. Anyone with an Ampro know how to route that belt?? I took a picture (below) of how I routed it, but the motor seems to be loading up: It drags, smells, and sparks right around that area that looks like points on an old car.

Help!

-

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 02, 2013 09:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James
Sorry I can't help with the belt, never having owned an Ampro (never very popular in the UK), but the "points in an old car" sound as if they may be connected with stabilising the speed. They open and close quite rapidly to keep the motor at a constant speed. They might be sparking. You could try cleaning the contacts with very fine emery paper. Very gently!

But, of course, I could be quite wrong with my diagnosis.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2013 11:21 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unusual looking machines, the reels appear to get in the way of the lens.

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2013 11:42 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there is a lower position for the lower arm that sends the reel closer to the floor to clear the lens. I didn't have mine in the lower position when I took the picture. IMHO the lower position doesn't look as neat--but form follows function!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2013 12:24 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I could find was that they were made in Chicago, same as B&H. So plenty of work in that city.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2013 01:32 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,

Thanks for your e-mail. I have replied with a few questions. Hopefully between us, we can get the beautiful Ampro singing again.

One point, however. Unless I am mistaken, or have mis-read what you say, I understand that you have replaced the photocell cable with ordinary twin cord. This is incorrect, as it should be high grade co-axial cable of 50 or 75 ohm impedance.

Also, I am not aware of any of the Stylist or Major models having an idler pulley - something strange there!

If you care to cast a look over some early posts of mine, using either my name or Ampro, you will find some pictures and info on my Ampros. As I said earlier, they are BEAUTIFUL machines, especially the Major series.

Speak later, no doubt!

Cheers,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2013 03:14 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave for responding. I replaced the exciter lamp cord with twin cord--the photocell cord was in perfect condition so I didn't have to mess with that. If you look at my picture a few posts up, you can see the idler pulley (name?) near the bottom of the picture. I think I read in the service manual that this pulley goes on the back of the belt.

Talks about the "idler roller" on page 15 here--this is my exact model:
http://www.paulivester.com/films/projector/Ampro_Stylist.pdf

And I agree, it's a beautiful machine--certainly want to fix it!

Thanks,
James

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC