8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki or Bell and Howell?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki or Bell and Howell?
Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2013 01:54 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I'm a regular lurker, but this is my first actual post here, so go gentle!

I mainly collect the earlier period of cinema, 9.5 silent, 28mm, and recently got into 35mm with four pre-First World War projectors!

For 16mm I use an Elmo F16, an absolutely gorgeous machine, but am starting to research getting an additional, more modern machine as well. In the UK, Elf (Eiki) and Bell and Howell are the obvious choices. I see Phil Sheard has an Eiki SSL-1 for sale and also a late B+H TQ3, dark grey model. It's years since I had an Elf or used B+Hs (two film societies I ran as a student used B+H TQ1s and TQ3s). My impression was that B+Hs were much kinder to film, particularly old or damaged film. (I know about the worm issues.) On the other hand, it would be nice to own that sleek modern SSL-1! What do you guys think?

In an ideal universe it would also play 18fps and have a three-bladed shutter, but I don't think any modern 16mm projectors do that, do they? Apart from the Bauers, which are quite scarce.

Any advice welcome! And of course, if any of you live near and have such a machine you'd consider selling (must be in really nice condition though [Smile] ) or part exchange for a Eumig 824 dual gauge projector, then PM me.

Thanks so much in advance!

Chris

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 24, 2013 10:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
Do you mean a 16-F? The manual thread with a separate speaker. A nice machine, but it only has the one lamp setting.

Bell & Howell or Elf? If you intend to show a lot of old, perhaps warped, films, then your choice has to be a Bell & Howell. Three claws and three sprockets (two actually but the film meets the lower sprocket a second time.)

The Elf only has two claws and two sprockets and often does not like older films which have become twisted or warped.

I have an Elf ESL, the electronic push button variant of the SSL, it's quite a nice projector but I love my Bell & Howells much more!

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2013 11:47 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for that Maurice. Yes, my Elmo is a 16F 250 HL. Your comments on the Elfs pretty much back up what I vaguely remember, so I will look into available late B+Hs with good worms. Many of my films are old and shrunken.

Do you know if any of the late models have 3 bladed shutters? I think the ones I used to use were only 2 bladed, so not ideal for 18fps. The one Phil Sheard has for sale is only 24 fps anyway.

Thanks again. Chris

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 25, 2013 02:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
As far as I am aware, the Bell & Howells with 18/24fps facility have a three-bladed shutter.
The single speed (24fps) models have a two-bladed shutter, this together with the later f1.2 lens will give the best light output.
But, I may be wrong!

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2013 10:16 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew that anyone produced single speed projectors. I saw a TQ3 advertised at Classic Home Cinema, but it made no mention of that. Even if you are not into making movies, there is always the possibility that a silent film might catch your interest.

Seems like almost everyone on here is on vacation, so I will go with the flow. Adios.

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2013 02:32 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older Bell and Howell 1552b Autoload and an Eiki SSL-0 and Elmo 16-CL--both with the manual slotload. The Bell and Howell has been with me since about 1987 and the others within the last 10-11 years. The differences I notice in mine is that the Eiki and the ELMO handle shrunken and damaged film better and run quieter. Film in good condition runs fine on all.

Here's my experience with a poor condition shrunken 50's film with torn sprockets here and there that I have:

B&H: sound stays garbled (like under water)--worst tears/splices may break film

Eiki SSL-0: sound garbled for a few seconds then it smoothes out to clear sound--worst tears/splices may shut off projector when top loop is hopelessly lost

Elmo 16-CL: sound garbled for 1-2 seconds and then clear sound - worst tears/splices bounce around a lot as the loop restorer tries to handle it--projector keeps going and rarely stops.
These are my experiences and my Elmo got new rollers in 2011. I can say that the internal speaker in the Bell and Howell sounds pretty good. I now use an external filmosound speaker for all. I don't think I'd ever part with any of them though.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 25, 2013 04:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris - someone started a very similar thread, maybe about 2 months ago, so try a search to find that because there was a lot of similar discussion there.

As an Eiki owner, I feel that a lot of the comment on Eikis/Elfs being less kind to film is based on earlier models. The Eiki 'last generation' that included SSLs and SNTs had design refinements that made them superior to the more common older models. I have an Eiki ENT and I consider it by far the best 16mm projector I've owned, although I've never had a B&H. A SSL can be superb but if you're unlucky - like me - you can find yourself with one that needs readjustment. With mine there's about a 15% chance of the film being mangled every time you start the projector!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 25, 2013 04:33 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both makes, but do prefer B & H, I think they are kind to film, personally I am not a fan of the "loop restorers" on projectors.
The simple answer is if you have a bad splice, then it will strain a spocket hole, then two ,then three etc, if there's a fault on your film, best attend to it, or it will get worse. The Elf's are a good projector, but I reckon I might be biased, as I lost trust in Japanese
projectors many years ago, ( Elmo), but having said that, the Elf's
have never scratched any of my prints.So I think both machines do their jobs.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 25, 2013 05:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh - I'm now so used to Eiki loop restorers that I wondered what happends if the loop is lost on a B&H? Does the projector stop or is there a lever to restore it as on 8mm projectors?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2013 03:37 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all so much for your feedback - very much appreciated. Adrian, I found that old thread, thanks for pointing it out. A mixed bag of experiences, but on balance I think I'm going to go for the late B+H for now, and see how I get on. If I do get an Elf in future, I'll make sure to get one of the last models. The one I had years ago was an RM-1 I think.

I'll report back when I have the new machine. Huge thanks to you all, and it's great to be a member here at last!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 26, 2013 06:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm Bell & Howell have a roller below the gate. If the bottom loop is lost and the film touches the roller it will jerk downwards to reform the lost loop.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 26, 2013 07:22 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right Maurice, basically the same as the Elf, I have heard
of collectors disabling it, although I DON'T have the courage to do this.I DO think I prefer a manual approach, as Adrian mentioned,
it has been used many years on other projectors. That aside, both
makes of machine do the job, although the Elf projector is the
easiest to keep in repair I must say, all you need is a Phillips screwdriver.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2013 10:38 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks, I've now bought Phil Sheard's B+H TQ3 and will keep you posted how I get on with it. But this morning I popped into a nearby antiques fair and came across this, the filthiest machine I've ever seen. Underneath the dirt, it's an Elf NT1. Since it was only a tenner, I got it, cleaned the worst of the dirt off, and it powers up and runs fine! Needs some new belts, which is fair enough. Rough round the edges, but once I've finished cleaning and fettling I may have a nice extra machine here!
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 30, 2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Elf NT2 on a local market a couple of weeks ago for £25 and even I didn’t buy it. Would have to be a Bell & Howell TQ for me with a much kinder to film, slower claw pull down and a three pin claw for a much steadier image on screen. Switched from Elf’s some time ago and never looked back. Many collectors favour the Elf as they can do minor maintenance easily on them which is what they were designed for ‘a utility projector’ for Uni etc. For excellence in projection look for a good Bell & Howell which will need proper servicing as would a cinema projector.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2013 03:19 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Lee, you weren't kidding. My B+H 2692 arrived from Classic Home Cinema, really nice condition, and we had a film show in the garden. An absolute gem of a machine, purring along much quieter than the ones I used to use at the film society. Really pleased with it. With this and my Elmo 16F for my very old prints (Kodascopes etc) I think I'm finally covered for 16mm. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC