8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » DOCTOR WHO MISSING EPISODES MAYBE FOUND ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DOCTOR WHO MISSING EPISODES MAYBE FOUND ?
Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2013 03:09 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello recent rumours in regards to early B/W episodes of the
British science fiction series Doctor Who have been found
There are around 116 episodes missing from the BBC Archives
These cover the years 1963-69 now rumours are saying that
16mm film prints have been discovered thought lost forever
Maybe a joke because its Dr who's 50th anniversary does
Anybody out there know if rumours have any truth behind them

--------------------
t.smith

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 24, 2013 10:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A statement from the BBC.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/06/bbc-statement-missing-episodes-190613210917.html

--------------------
Maurice

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice yes already seen that does not mean a thing
They found two episodes a short time ago 2011 and I think they
Had them for some time before announcing find

--------------------
t.smith

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 25, 2013 06:24 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, Maurice, you must remember that back in the late '60's
'70's, Southern Africa had a thriving industry in film, every other
shop was film hire, from "The Outer Limits" to "I Love Lucy", the
film hire business was thriving, there was no TV, So anything was there for grabs.I have no doubts that copies of a lot of stuff, including the "Dr Who" episodes are probably out there, might be
in the back of a mud hut, but I think they will pop up.The BBC, ARE NOT the British Film Institute, they are self serving people
that exist on the licence payer, that have lost the view, that all those "LOST" PERFORMANCIES,that have gone out of their grasp,they are to blame, we, the licence payers have paid for these lost gems, they should be brought to task for this lacking in their
responsibilities to the British Licence payer, those "Lost" films
belong to the British public, not the BBC, WE PAIID FOR THEM IN LICENCE FEES!

[ July 25, 2013, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC destroyed a lot of material, now they would like to have it back. I think I mentioned in an earlier thread that some shows of Dusty Springfield turned up in New Zealand; they had ignored the BBC's orders to destroy the prints after broadcasting.

In the 1970s it was reported that 12 episodes of Hancock's Half Hour had been lost after an employee accidentally wiped the video tapes. I am a bit confused here as all the remaining episodes exist in 35mm. No where have I read that these shows were video taped.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2013 04:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC almost wiped the first series of Monty Python. Fortunately, the Pythons made copies and also America suddenly took an interest in the shows. Otherwise, the BBC would have wiped them simply because they wanted the space (in their library and on the tapes).

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 30, 2013 05:50 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was Bob Monkhouse that saved the day there Jonathan,
as he was an avid film collector and one of the first to have video recording equipment for private use. He recorded many TV shows
and thus saved them from oblivion.The axe I have to grind with
the BBC is simply this, those shows etc belong to the Licence Payer, not the BBC, they were paid for by our money,the Public,
not the Government or any other body. They do need reminding of this fact.They exist purely by the licence fee payer.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2013 07:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that Terry Jones grabbed them at the last moment. Sensibly, they later bought the overseas rights,taking them away from BBC control.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 03:50 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand storage space is a major problem, but I think they have a duty to preserve as much as possible. Only 6 episodes of Peter Cushing's outing as Sherlock Holmes exists, and 2 of these make up The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 31, 2013 05:41 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Jonathan, I was referring to episodes of late 50's early '60's
comedy classics that hadn't been kept, but Bob had recorded
them.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 06:23 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Hugh. And to think Monkhouse was questioned on suspicion of piracy by over zealous cops.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 31, 2013 10:42 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to know that the Bob Monkhouse collection appears to still all be in the same place, as Studiocanal recently said they checked it with regard to looking for lost material from The Wicker Man! It would be fascinating to know exactly what Bob had. As the president of the Gothique Film Society (who I've heard appeared at some screenings), I'm sure he had some horror gems amongst his reels and tapes.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For reasons which escape me, my comment was duplicated!

[ July 31, 2013, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Trevithick ]

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 07:19 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 07:25 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC