8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » EIKI TAKE-UP REEL WARPED

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EIKI TAKE-UP REEL WARPED
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 05:32 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,
I have an EIKI 16mm 2000ft Take-Up Reel and it must be a bit warped in one spot because the film sticks and rubs on the inside of the reel.
Is there any remedy to fix the problem?

Thanks,
RS

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 31, 2013 05:58 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Roger

Here's how I fixed one. I cut a piece of plywood (thickness of inside reel) in a circle the size of the reel. Then cut it in half cutting the center out for the hub. I then placed the 2 halves inside the reel. Then I just tapped the reel all they way around on both sides. Done!

If you try just bending the reel it never comes out true.

Good luck!

PatD

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 07:43 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat!
Thanks for the tip I will give it a try!
RS

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2013 10:14 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't these suppose to be auto take up reels? I have the same reel but have never noticed if it rubs like yours.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 01, 2013 12:48 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done this myself but I have known people to use a hairdryer to heat the plastic which can then be manipulated to shape.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 01, 2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done something similar Michael with the aid of hot water
and then a plunge in cold.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2013 03:20 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Jim,

The film rubs and sticks on the inside of the reel. It's a big one EIKI 16mm 2000ft Take-Up Reel. I'm not sure if some of the members suggestions would work on this particular type reel though?

There are 6 tiny phillips screws on the front and back that hold both sides to the hub so perhaps I will try and loosen them all a little bit to see if that does any good?

RS

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 01, 2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or you could try what Hugh and myself have just suggested.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2013 04:27 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone but I think I will go with Pat's idea since it sounds like it will do the least amount of damage if I screw it up!

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2013 05:25 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Hugh mentioned, one method that has worked for me when a plastic spool is too tight in places for proper take up is to carefully wrap something around the centre (a thin piece of cloth possibly) just enough to open the spool uniformally all around to the desired width then put in a bowl of very hot water for a while, then into some cold water.
I read it somewhere and it usually does the job.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC