8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & Howell optical system

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell optical system
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2013 04:44 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual for a Bell & Howell in a wooden blimp case says, in regard to cleaning the optical system, 'The mirror, which can be seen by looking down behind the sound drum from in front of and above the machine, should be cleaned regularly'.
Although I have cleaned the sound drum, and lens facing the exciter lamp, I have never seen any mirror. Could someone with one of these older machines post a picture of what I am supposed to be looking for.
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2013 09:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
The mirror is so small I would suggest it's left all to itself. It's behind the sound drum and reflects the sound track at 90 degrees to the photo cell.

Perhaps a good puff of air would be O.K., but it's my advice to not even go looking for it.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2013 09:58 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll leave it alone Maurice, the reason I asked is because although I cleaned the drum and lens facing the exciter lamp, the sound improved, but was still not possible to distinguish all words. I thought of this after reading the posts about vacuum tubes being superior in sound. The older B&H projectors only have a tone control, whereas the more modern have bass and treble controls.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2013 10:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old blimp model Bell & Howells are now getting on in age, and if they haven't been stored properly the reflective coating on the mirror develops cracks and the coating wears off.

This is serious trouble as the only answer is a new mirror. Gordon Ogbourne may have a spare, but it's going to need professional attention for the replacement.

You could try laying the projector on its side and partially removing the amplifier to see if the photocell is clean and seated in its base firmly. Be wary of the flying lead.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2013 11:20 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC