8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » USA 16mm Trailers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USA 16mm Trailers
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 05, 2013 04:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were 16mm films publicly shown in the USA?

I ask because I have a few 16mm trailers, the newest one is in 'scope for the 2005 film "Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith".

It carries a US Certificate, and ends with its opening date. Rather surprisingly it's printed on Agfa stock, I would have expected Eastman LPP of an American print.

Or. Is there a company who puts out cinema trailers purely for collectors?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most trailers that are released on 16mm and Super 8 are direct from 35mm release prints. Any info you see on your 16mm print, is from the 35mm source.

In answer to your question, yes there have been theaters that you use 16mm projectors. Were they ever common enough to get mainstream prints? I don't know.

Small indie theaters are the only ones that I've seen 16mm projection.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 04:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernie
Thank you for your comment. Whilst some 35mm cinemas may have also had 16mm equipment, it was probably not used very often.

My main query is why 16mm trailers were made for quite recent films.

As I said, perhaps they are not intended for cinema showing but produced exclusively for film collectors.

--------------------
Maurice

William Stolen
Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2013 04:56 AM      Profile for William Stolen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

Your trailer probably comes from here:

http://www.robbiesreels.com/trailers.htm

Each year, untill 2005, he made about ten new trailers, which I always bought.
"Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" is from the last batch he made. He had to stop making new ones because sales dropped.

Best,
William.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 06:02 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William
Many thanks for this information which confirms my belief that the 16mm trailers were issued for collectors.

I was suspicious as two of my trailers are on a single length of film with no join between them.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 06:04 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting link, William. Thanks.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 06:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robbie only quotes shipping rates for features from outside the USA. Perhaps he does not sell trailers to "foreign" collectors.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 07:17 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found Maurice, if you contact the seller, chances are they'll
ship overseas.

William Stolen
Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2013 10:02 AM      Profile for William Stolen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Belgium and I bought many trailers from him.
And there was absolutely no problem to ship overseas.
He'll be very happy to hear from you guys and that he can sell some trailers again.
Strange that several members don't know of this website's existence. He even used to advertise in the Big Reel in the nineties, that's where I found his new trailer list and I was one of his best clients.

As for other sources, contact this ebay member:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-Film-Movie-Trailer-ROB-ROY-1995-NEW-COLOR-/200948678327?pt=US_Film&hash=item2ec9797eb7

He will send you a list and if you buy multiple trailers you can even get them for $15 each. Some of them may be used, others will be new, but they're all flat ones. His choice in titles goes untill 2003.

Best,
William.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 06, 2013 10:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William
What is the postal charge for a 16mm trailer to Europe?
Thanks for the other link. Regretfully, the seller does not offer "Buy It Now".

--------------------
Maurice

William Stolen
Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2013 11:40 AM      Profile for William Stolen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I haven't bought 16mm trailers for five years, so I can't help you with postal rates.
I'm more into 35mm these days.
As for vetofilm, use "contact member" tell him what you want and he'll make you a "buy it now" At least, that's how it worked for me some years ago.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC