8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Star Performance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Performance
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 17, 2013 04:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought a half-hour black & white TV show from 1956 with the intro title of "Star Performance", this was produced by David Niven, and he is the star. The episode title is "Red Wine", and its end credits mention Official Films Inc.

However, when checking on the Internet Movie Database, it's named as "Four Star Theatre, Season 4, Episode 21, 8 March 1956". It also has a second name of "Four Star Playhouse".

Is this an original TV copy, or is it a 16mm home user print released by Official Films?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2013 05:09 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Films

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 18, 2013 03:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have now had a chance to check the print on my rewind, and subsequently run it for viewing.

It seems that Official Films didn't even bother to reprint. They appear to have used the original TV print and added an intro and end credits. These are very obvious as the original print has a variable area sound track, and the added sections have a variable density sound track.

An audio clue is that the introduction title stays on the screen for ages whilst the music plays, the sound originally being over the main opening titles.

Did Official Films release other half-hour TV shows?

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2013 08:35 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Police Station' (1959) 39 episodes.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC