8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell and Howell 540

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell 540
James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2013 01:54 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a manual thread Bell and Howell 540 today that I like. It generally runs quietly, the valve/tube sound is very good and clear, the belts all seem good and taut, and the worm gear is undamaged. I'm not home, so I only have one film with me now

Through all of the white leader and the first few seconds of the film, most of the time, it runs good and quietly showing a great, sharp picture. After a few seconds I get a clatter and the picture shows multiple frames jumping instead of each frame--almost like the claws arent gripping the perforations. If I reverse it while it is like that, the upper loop vanishes--but the loop never is lost in forward even when it is clattering. When running right, reverse keeps the loop fine. The gate is clean and shiny.

Any ideas?--seems like the gate pressure is not tight enough. How loose/tight should the pressure springs be? There is a little bolt that acts like a door stop for the swing lens assembly. Should I adjust that little bolt?

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 19, 2013 02:44 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Does the film run OK on other projectors?
2) I think the screw is just for keeping the lens assembly in position.
3) Try holding something like a very small screwdriver on the top of the front pressure plate very gently to see if the picture steadies.
4) If 3 works then probably then you need new gate springs, however, as a temporary measure you could remove the two springs and gently extend them.
5) Your word "clatter" could come from a faulty loop restorer assembly. I assume you lace correctly and allow a sufficient loop size below the gate. The loop former is coupled to the claw, it is only supposed to pull the film back down when the claw is disengaged. If the synchronising is out of phase the loop former will probably just keep banging away in the vain hope of restoring the loop.
6) I don't think the projector has an inching knob, but if you open the gate you can see the three claws. Are they perhaps full of goo from faulty tape joins. Do they look OK?
Let us know how you get on.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2013 04:05 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, further to your earlier posting about 535 and 540; if you have room why not keep the 540. If you Google a site called Cinerdistan, the person who runs it is all in favour of manual thread machines.

Maurice gave a useful tip in an earlier post which was that bits of fluff or other debris can get where the pull down claws are preventing the film being pulled down properly. Trying to remove the fluff with a brush didn't work for me, so I carefully used a wooden cocktail stick. I was surprised how much rubbish came out.

Finally, I didn't try putting pressure on the gate myself, because a little too much and your film will be ripped. Ok if you have some film that is only fit for throwing away.

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2013 04:53 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Will try at home late this evening and report back
2) Thanks
3) I'll try tonight, but finger on the top of the gate pressure plate doesn't help
4) Extended them gently--didn't help
5) I have attached pictures--like the 535, I don't see a loop restorer on this 540--in fact, there is no room to make a bottom loop, is there? see pictures
6) see 3 claws, and I do see some dirt and goo back there--not a lot--but certainly enought to see--will perform goo extraction tonight! Thanks

I'll report back--thanks!! I really appreciate it. And, this machine looks in such good condition--it will be a keeper!

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads0503&file=photo10.JPG

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads0503&file=photo11.JPG

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads0503&file=photo12.JPG

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads0503&file=photo14.JPG

poor video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95WU779V0S0

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2013 10:06 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoying a rock-solid picture of the 1960's Incredible Hulk Cartoon! I cleaned out the claw area with a wooden toothpick first and fired her up! Perfect! This is the second reel that worked fine this evening. I did find with a third reel i had to stop, open the gate, and make sure the film was on the 3 claws--but so far I'm happy. I wish that it had an inching knob to make sure that the claws were out during threading.

Thank you for the help!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 02:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James
Sounds as if you're getting there!
It does have a loop former. Refer to photo #11. It's the small roller below the gate which severely restricts the ability to lace a decent loop.
Keep the loop as large as you can.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 05:03 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very pleased for you James; I thought the sound was good in the video. Hope you can sort out any problems. A nice looking machine, and as you probably know B&H are kind to film. Happy viewing.

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 07:54 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Maurice and Robert! Hopefully I get more efficient at the manual threading--it takes me a while. But, it provides time for the tubes to warm up inside.

This machine seems so well preserved, maintained, and clean. I couldn't believe the condition when I took off the back cover:

-

I did blow the control panel lamp last night (likely from transporting the projector home) and I need to find out what the replacement type is--but, the lamp is unmarked--I don't even know the voltage.

[ September 20, 2013, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: James Peterson ]

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 10:05 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My manual threader is over 60 years old; I had never thought about using the inching knob to make the claws protrude when threading. I don't think the owners manual mentions it. An inching knob is important. I found manual threading tricky, not as easy as shown in some of the B&H films. After closing the gate I slid the film up and down with my finger to make sure it was free running before securing the bottom loop. I used to find that when I started up the projector the top loop was gone. One time it took me 20 minutes to thread properly.

Have you got a copy of the owner's manual to show what lamps you need?

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 10:10 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20 minutes!! I was there yesterday!!
Can't find a 540 operators manual anywhere. I have the online version of the 535 manual that references that there is a lamp and how to remove it, but not what it is...

As far as the inching knob, Some models like the Kodak Pageant and the Victor machines have a line on the inching knob to assist with the claws during threading. I guess B/H didn't think it was important on the post 1961 models?

Speaking of tricky--that Bell and Howell video of the 535 makes it seem easy to place tension on the sound drum--seems like a 3 hand operation to me! Film perforations sticking to sprocket before you're ready for them to stick, too much tension, too little tension, underwater sound, tension headache, etc...I need an aspirin...LOL!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 10:17 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, I was projecting a feature, so it was 20 mins before I got to see the next part. Once it is secure you know the film is in good hands. My old projector has a threading light bulb which is obsolete now.

These people in the UK only have the repair manual.
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/manuals/bell-howell-540-camera-manual-20161.asp

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2013 08:58 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the older Bell and Howell machines use a special speaker plug? My quarter inch speaker plugs won't fit this 540.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 03:39 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, I wanted one of these special plugs, or adaptors, that allow you to use an existing speaker. I tried 2 sources in the UK, one can't find a new supplier, and Classic Home Cinema say they have a boxful of them but can't find them. I never heard any more from them, I guess it wasn't a big enough sale. Can't seem to find one from audio and hi-fi sellers, so for now am using the internal speaker.

If you Google Paul Ivester, and look under the section on B&H projectors, you will find what lamps your machine takes.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 21, 2013 04:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Bell & Howell projectors which were AC/DC they had a different size jack plug for the extension speaker. This was to prevent someone inadvertently putting in a microphone.

I have an 8636 and the speaker plug must be inserted before connecting to the mains, if inserted when it's switching on it will be shorted out and probably blow a fuse.

The correct sized plugs can be obtained from Gordon Ogbourne in the UK.

http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/cel8/cel17.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 12:08 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon Ogbourne was the first person I tried months ago, it was he who told me that he had run out and was trying to find another supplier. Subsequent emails have received the same reply. He can be contacted through Ebay.

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 12:37 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the information..
On Paul Ivester's website, he refers to this as a .206 jack. It looks like this is something they use for aviation headsets. I've seen what could be a couple options on Ebay but they are expensive for a jack. I was wondering about replacing the projector's jack with a standard 1/4" one. I have to see if there is enough room over there to solder safely. Maybe I can practice on my broken 1552B. That really bugs me that my B&H Filmosound speaker has a standard 1/4" plug on it but the projector doesn't

As for the control panel bulb--I couldn't find that on Pauls site--he lists the projection and exciter lamp types though. I bought some 12v automotive lamps and I'm glad that I looked at the socket first! It is a 125v dual contact bayonet BA15D!! That would have blown my automotive bulb pretty bad!--socket says 125v, 75w (the 7 is hard to read on mine, but I think that's what it is). I see a few halogen lamps out there that could fit (height is almost unlimited)--I imagine that I don't want that control panel too bright or it would be distracting during a show.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 22, 2013 02:49 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the correct plugs are unavailable, then it would be a good idea if a standard jack socket could be fitted.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2013 10:20 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, handy to know it's called a .206 jack. Bell & Howell made a special adaptor so that your 2 pin extension speaker lead could be plugged into this .206 jack. This is what I have been trying to obtain.

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2013 03:29 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Robert.

I received some help from Ken Layton on the control panel lamp. The lamp/bulb is 120v, 6watts, not 75 watts. It is a 6S6DC bulb and they seem to be readily available online. Ken was telling me that you really do NOT want to use any other wattage/style of bulb other than a 6S6DC because it can melt the clear plastic control panel.

He also said that "when the 500 series projectors switched to transistor amplifiers (denoted by the "-T" suffix on the projector model number) B&H decided to use 12 volts from the amplifier's power supply board to run a wedge base # 194 miniature lamp. They changed the lamp socket and mounting bracket to accomidate the new bulb style. By the way, the #194 lamps are a common dashboard light for cars & trucks and can be purchased at any car parts stores."

So that tells me that the "T" solid state models have yet another difference. My 540 and 535 are tube/valve type.

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 22, 2013 10:17 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James
Some interesting data. What are you going to do about the speaker connection? Can you get the correct plug?

--------------------
Maurice

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2013 10:28 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think, apparently Larry Urbanski sells the plug stateside --I have an email out to him. I plan to try that route before I change the original jacks on this 540 and the 535. I am really impressed with the picture of this 540 (once you all helped me with that bottom loop).

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 22, 2013 10:44 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The loop former doesn't give much room for threading. I recently bought a Bell & Howell which worked well but the loop former used to go berserk, jumping up and down to no avail.

My service engineer looked at it and said that a previous owner had "mucked about" with it and got it out of sync with the claws. It's only supposed to pull down the lost loop when the claws are retracted. It's to prevent film damage.

It is a pity that the 535 and the 540 do not have an inching knob, I suppose they might be called economy models.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC