8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B+H lamp holder replacement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B+H lamp holder replacement
Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2013 06:25 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks, I bought a B+H 2692 from Phil Sheard a couple of month ago. When I took it out a few days ago to run a print I bought at Rickmansworth I found the lamp wouldn't come on. Thinking the lamp had just blown, I took it out, and actually the ceramic holder has burnt out, presumably from a dodgy connection with the lamp. Phil says this is easy to fix and that he will bring a spare lampholder along to Ealing for me.

Anyone had any experience of doing this? I can't see how you would just mount the new holder on the wires. Is it complicated? Thanks in advance for any advice. Obviously if it's as easy as wiring a plug then no problem, but I can't see that it is.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 12, 2013 10:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new lampholder will come with a few inches of flying lead. You will need to cut your existing lead and solder the new lead to it after checking the length.

Before you solder you will need to slide some sleeving over the wires so that once the connection is made you can then slide the sleeving back over the soldered joins for insulation and protection.

Ask Phil when you see him to verify the instructions.

--------------------
Maurice

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2013 07:50 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Maurice
Your right on with the instructions
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2013 01:32 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much Maurice and Richard, very helpful. Oh dear, I fear this isn't a job for me (no technical skills whatever, and no soldering iron).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC