8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What 16mm films did you see today? (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  23  24  25 

Author Topic: What 16mm films did you see today?
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 28, 2017 02:11 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I screened my latest 16mm film purchase The Graduate (1967). Sound and picture quality was great. If I had to pick my favorite movie of all times...this would be it. Paul Simon's brilliant soundtrack kept playing in my head long after the movie was over..."Hello darkness my old friend..." [Cool] Shots of Dustin Hoffman driving across the Oakland Bay Bridge and Berkeley brought back lots of memories of that time for me.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2017 02:51 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice that is a GREAT GREAT movie. What I love about it is how it changes as you age. When I was young I treated it as a comedic romp, rooting for Benjamin. As I get older though I see the sadness inherent in the film, permeating every adult character. And the ending - oh the ending!

Wish I'd kept my 'scope print, but it was a fading, beat up ex-library print.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2017 12:10 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

I want to apply your application to my projector, the Eiki 3585 projector and I live in the USA. Are you familiar if a 4.8w 12v LED will operate in the 3585 and are there any modifications necessary?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 28, 2017 02:00 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Stuart...Mike Nichols does a masterful job of juxtaposing humor and sadness in The Graduate. This film has many layers and it's themes and characterizations are just as valid today as they were 50 years ago.

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 01, 2017 12:16 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another good Dustin Hoffman movie....Kramer vs. Kramer (1979). Both Hoffman and Streep are at their best. The young actor, Justin Henry, was perfect for the roll and was nominated for an oscar. This movie has a little bit of everything and the quality of the print was terrific.

-

--------------------
Janice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 11, 2017 03:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very good print Janice.
Tonight for the first time,(at last) we viewed our scope print of Kidnapped. A first for us and we were more than happy with this experience, Pin sharp edge to edge picture. Great sound and also excellent colours. Print from Dave Guest, & a thank you to Clyde who sold us the 38mm Sankor lens in order for me to get the right image size. Now i want it even bigger. Once i get that Draper fixed screen up i will let you know how we get on [Wink]

We arnt too good great at screen capturing as we use an old digi camera while viewing so you certainly dont get the true colours here.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ February 17, 2019, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2017 04:32 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice screen shots tom, and a great looking print.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 11, 2017 05:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you clyd, & projected through the 38mm lens you sent. 1st rate. [Wink]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 11, 2017 07:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom...I think you did a nice job with the captures. Looks like a beautiful print and a great movie. Great job!

--------------------
Janice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 12, 2017 06:59 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you

Ross Gibbs
Junior

- posted May 17, 2017 12:33 AM      Profile for Ross Gibbs   Author's Homepage   Email Ross Gibbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, nice print Tom!

--------------------
“He felt all at once like an ineffectual moth, fluttering at the windowpane of reality, dimly seeing it from outside.”
― Philip K. Dick, Ubik

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 17, 2017 04:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ross, it is a great little film.
BUT, tonight, the opposite end of the scale,
Cross of Iron.
This was the big big purchase for my Brother recently. I saw this film on ebay described as "a mint print of a great film". The screenshots showed this and with a buy it now or nearest offer i had to jump straight in where my offer was accepted. Supplied on 3 x 1600ft spools this copy surely cant have been projected more than a handful of times. No colour fade, fantastic colours and a perfect crisp pin sharp image which my crabby digi camera really cannot pick up. It is a great war film, ( i know these arnt everyone's cup of tea), and the only war film that Sam Peckinpah directed. This was a pure chance find as i was surfing,(as they say) ebay and just stumbled on it by mistake. The film arrived within 48 hours of payment, i gave it a light clean with filmguard, i did a last day tweek on the pressure pad of the Elf and bugger me it all went perfect tonight. There isn't a line anywhere to be seen, only two very good cement splices that had i not have noticed them upon cleaning i wouldn't have known they were there.
This one is a very big deal for me as my Brother always said he wished he could get this title on super 8 but aside a worn 400 footer nothing came our way. Hugh Scott did inform us that there was a German 3 x 400 ft released that often comes up on ebay but they generally have some fade and will need re-recording into English which isn't something we do, now he has his top title off his bucket list. [Cool] [Wink]
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ May 27, 2017, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2017 04:09 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific looking print, I bet it's on Agfa acetate stock ?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 17, 2017 04:12 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, i was trying to find the stock but, (sounding completly dim) i have looked on both edges right up to the start of each reel but cant see anything [Embarrassed]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 17, 2017 05:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Another gem there for you and you brother Tom!
Lovely looking print. [Wink]

If it's any consolation mate, I can never find stock markings and codes either. I gave up years ago even trying to look for them among the sprocket edge on Super 8mm. [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2017 03:43 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried on 8mm, not sure my eyes could take it! As it is, I use an old lens to read the stock off 16mm!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 18, 2017 03:51 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see it on 8 but to be honest if the film colour is this good then is cant be nasty old stock otherwise it would be fading by now. [Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 18, 2017 03:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's all I do Tom. Know the year it's made, take a glance at the colours on screen, you have a good idea instinctively of what stock it must be.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cracking film there Tom.

A shame the ending was sort of tinkered with on the super 8 400 digest.

The opening titles, music and clips etc are superb on Cross of Iron.

Best Mark

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 01:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are Mark, have to say the 16mm print we bought exceeded all my expectations. I now appreciate a print in pristine condition, none of our 16s are bad but this one, Cromwell, All that jazz and Kidnapped are all great prints. [Wink]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 03:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What size are you doing there Tom, and what are you going too 25mm x 2 ?

Be good to get a 25mm scnieder for that.

Best Mark.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 04:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have three lenses now,( this amount of Len's was not intended), i have the 25mm which is great for the 4:3 films and gives a large image in a short throw, but for scope,(as kindly pointed out to me on here) the image is too large,only as i dont have a big enough screen yet. I have a standard lens which is a superb image but way too small, then i have,(as recommended by many on here) the 38mm which is perfect in my film room for the scope shows. Ref kidnapped images on here, i also use with this lens the zoom converter which works brilliantly. and for scope i use the Sankor 16D with the larger 48mm rea barrel.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2017 05:36 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom a great copy of KIDNAPPED you have there. You lucky man.

Of course being a Scot and being descended from the Stewarts of Appin on my mothers side this story is very close to my heart.

My mother would not let a Campbell in the house when I was younger. This made things hard for me as my then best friend
was a Campbell. She gave in the end though. WE Scots do not
forgive or forget easily its in our genes.

I always shed a tear when I visit Culloden Moor.

I was never sure about Michael Caine playing the role of Alan Breck Stewart but he manages it fine.
A nice film score by Roy Budd too.

The last time I showed this at the ODEON ABERDEEN CINEMA it
was part of a double bill with TRIPLE ECHO starring Oliver Reed
and Glenda Jackson. I thought it was a strange double bill though.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 20, 2017 07:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David and a great story there to. I wondered why they cast Michael Caine but i think he did it well, the ideal choice back then i would have thought could have been Sean Connery or at the very least A Scottish Actor. Still one of Caine's most underrated and best movies. That opening music as the title comes up is a perfect match to.It's the one thing i always remembered after seeing the movie for the first time.
The print is excellent and even better than i was expecting and a very good price from David Guest.
[Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 21, 2017 02:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight i put up All That Jazz, Starring Roy Scheider, Jessica Lang, with John Lithgow. Directed by Bob Fosse the film is a semi-autobiographical fantasy based on aspects of Fosse's life and career as a dancer, Choreographer and director.
Mounted on 3 x 1600ft spools this one does have some light fade, but once again these images appear to exaggerate this as for some reason reds come out annoyingly much redder than they are. As always i use an old poopy digi camera set on auto. I like to concentrate on the film rather than taking pictures. All these are from the final reel and the brilliant finale number bye bye life, (from the Everly Brothers bye bye Love)
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

The one thing i remember about this film when it was reviewed by Barry Norman here in the UK on BBC 1s film 79 was the fact that aside a bit of minor nudity it was given an X certificate here as it showed the real opening, (quite gruesome), of a chest with the heart pumping away during a musical number on reel two. I will spare you those images [Big Grin]
Still a very good film with some excellent performances and super foot tapping song and dances. (Some quite erotic).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  23  24  25 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC