8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What 16mm films did you see today? (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Author Topic: What 16mm films did you see today?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 10, 2019 04:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very nice print Janice. it looks like a brand new print.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 10, 2019 08:29 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is definitely not brand new Tom...but it is in terrific shape. There's a green line in the first 10 seconds of the beginning...then it's clean of lines throughout the rest of the reels. I don't regret picking up my first odd reels copy of this film however. I've had many enjoyable viewings using a filter to improve the color and watching the equivalent to the 1st reel on DVD. However, this print is like getting an entire new movie. I think only collectors understand the kind of excitement that comes with finding a print or a better print you've been looking for a long time. [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 13, 2019 07:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First a silent American film, Sock Exchange. Almost no flickering, probably because there are not many too bright whites on the picture. Then a French sound documentary, Suite française. They compare historical famous French faces with "today"'s ones (I would say the film is from the '40s). Interesting but certainly not politically correct, for obvious reasons, in today's (2019) standards.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 05, 2019 06:09 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two small musical reels : La caissière du Grand Café (a song by the famous Fernandel) and Songs Of The Hills.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 08, 2019 04:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming! (1966). This is the second print I have of this movie. The first print was fairly faded so I bought another one. The second print has much better color however one of the reels had a green scratch on it. So I assembled the best reels out of the two prints:) I use filters on my projector in various combinations to get as much color out of the film as I can. I just love this movie and so happy to have it on 16mm.

-

[ April 08, 2019, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 10, 2019 02:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally don't like bidding for films on Ebay... I never win [Frown] But Nine to Five (1980) came up and this was a movie I really wanted. I decided to be brave and join the bidding war and bottom line I WON!. Just got the movie and screened it last night. A great print... no missing scenes.

-

--------------------
Janice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 17, 2019 12:50 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night i viewed one of my favourite films, Mississippi Burning. Gene Hackman being one of the best Actors ever, (IMO) [Wink]
Not sure if this film is in the thread projectors in movies, but as the images show, theirs one in there.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ May 14, 2019, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 17, 2019 12:55 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Tom!

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 20, 2019 07:15 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I advise you gixen.com. This free application places bids at the last moment.

Yesterday night, two reels made by a ex-projectionnist who used to digest musical films by keeping the songs of the films and some dialogues. One of the choosen film, L'œil en coulisse (1953) has less musical moments but has a story set in a radio station so it's interesting to to see the backstage of it and some imitations of celebrities from the '50s. Second, digested film was Coeur-sur-mer (1951), with the (at that time) famous singer André Claveau.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 20, 2019 10:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique! I'll give Gixen a try.

--------------------
Janice

Svein Sveinsson
Junior

- posted April 25, 2019 05:30 PM      Profile for Svein Sveinsson   Email Svein Sveinsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the day off work today, so I closed the blinds, and put on my new mint condition print of Kill Bill vol. 1.

-

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 27, 2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great find Svein. Do you have Vol 2 to go with it?

Svein Sveinsson
Junior

- posted May 05, 2019 05:56 PM      Profile for Svein Sveinsson   Email Svein Sveinsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, I wish I did... I think it will be hard work locating one of the handful of prints that are out there... Hopefully I'll find one... For now, I'm having Marco make me a trailer for KB2 to have in the intermission between reel 1 and reel 2/3 (reel 2 and 3 are spliced together as one), so I only have one reel change.

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2019 07:54 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yesterday ,a true classic,casablanca in black and white stock,this,s the second film i got in my new 16mm collection.
a great print indeed.

best:
luis caramelo

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2019 10:02 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, Luis, that is a terrific start to a 16mm collection! What was the other one?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2019 11:57 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! Mélvin,thanks for your kind of comment,the nother one,
raiders of the lost ark,in lpp stock print.
i collecting super 8 for must 3o years,and this year i decide to collect 16mm,because there,s so nice titles witch are not available in super 8.

best;
luis caramelo

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2019 12:10 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luis - At the end of my previous message, I was going to guess what your first film was. I was going to say either Star Wars or Close Encounters!...…...but Raider of The Lost Ark and Casablanca as your first two features!!!....WOW!...… I suppose I could say it will be downhill from now on as you could not get any higher!

Well done! I am impressed! You will get a call from me the next time I am at the Cliff Bay!*

* Hotel in Funchal,Madeira.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 05, 2019 11:15 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched my print of One On One (1977) last night. It was faded when I got it but in the past 5 years the colors look about the same. Colored filters work well on this print.

-

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 22, 2019 12:23 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since my son moved out I've watched a lot more of my film collection. Last night I pulled out one of my favorite Cary Grant movies Bringing Up Baby. It had been awhile since I had screened this film and it was funny as ever.

-

--------------------
Janice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 22, 2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in an outdoorsy mood, so this weekend I went 16mm. (It was too HOT outside to do it for real!)

-Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes
-Three little Bruins in a Canoe
-Michigan Canoe Trails

For some reason I can't explain, films like these are few and far between on Super-8. As a result, if you look at my 16mm library so far, it looks like something a Scout troop would own!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2019 02:41 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,

I'm writing to ask about the size of your projection screen.
Is the screen flat white in color?

As always your screen shots are spectacular.

Sincerely,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 22, 2019 04:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael...The screen is silver and curved. It measures 72" diagonally. The height is 42" and the width 58". Both my 16mm (Elmo 16CL) and 8mm (Elmo ST-1200HD) projectors using 25mm lenses can fill the screen perfectly at a distance of 15ft. from the screen.

I can't imagine there are many of these screens around today...maybe in a Sony Museum [Cool] I bought it in the early 80's along with the Sony coffee table 3-lamp projection TV. I got rid of the TV years ago...but the screen has worked well with my film and digital projectors.

-

--------------------
Janice

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2019 11:49 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen is a nice size, 3.5 by almost 5 feet wide makes for a perfect picture area from a 15' distance.

I'm imagining that the curved design is to improve the viewing angle from the left and right and to avoid hot spots in the center?

Another question that I have is: due to the curved screen design how is the edge to edge sharpness? And by using a 25mm lens to increase the image area, are you sacrificing picture quality sharpness, as opposed to projecting with a 50mm or 38mm lens?

From your experience can you describe the comparison of B&W and color projected films on a silver as opposed to a white screen?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 23, 2019 12:02 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael this curved and tilted down screen has it's limitations. It's best viewed from straight on...however I have to set up my seating in the room at an angle to achieve the 15ft. distance needed. Because the screen is tilted downward I have to lower my projectors to avoid extreme keystoning. The angle I have seating looks fine on both sides of the screen...but if you are sitting at an extreme angle the edges of the image can disappear/darken. Also lying on the floor looking up at the screen the bottom of the screen disappears/darkens. For this reason I don't see having a curved screen is at all optimal.

As far as white vs. silver....I have never placed my small white screen up next to the silver screen to make a comparison. I've used a white screen for my outdoor viewings and the images are very good even when it's not totally dark.

Whether the screen is silver or white...the lens used does make a big difference in brightness and clarity. The Elmo 50mm and 38mm (I have both) definitely are superior to my 25mm lens. I'm just willing to compromise on some of the quality to gain the larger size.

[ July 23, 2019, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 25, 2019 01:21 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received an episode of the original Mission Impossible series. This is from season 4 episode 21 called Lover's Knot . The quality of the print is great and I love that this episode features Leonard Nimoy [Smile]

-

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC