8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » The Green Girdle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Green Girdle
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 19, 2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Green Girdle" is not an item from Dorothy Perkins, it's an IB Technicolor film I recently bought. A 400' short made in 1941 by Ralph Keene for The British Council extolling the beauties of green land around London and more afar for the enjoyment of the great British public, and hoping that these areas of land would be kept like it forever.

So the name which we use so much these days Green Belt (land) has had a name-change over the years. It does sound better than its original name, after all, who's now heard of a girdle?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2013 08:00 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The term "Green Belt or Girdle" seems to have originated with the London County Council in 1935 but "Girdle" seems to have disappeared after 1947 when Green Belts were introduced around London and other cities.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 21, 2013 09:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This the BFI data-base reference:-
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/15338?view=synopsis

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2013 04:01 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Technicolor documentary is indeed unusual for 1941. The photography is credited by the BFI to Jack Cardiff, famed for his later work for Michael Powell. I only know one other British colour wartime documentary "Western Approaches". Of course William Wyler and John Ford made "Memphis Belle" and "Battle of Midway" using 16mm Kodachrome.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 25, 2013 05:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Steel" (1945) is another IB Technicolor documentary I have which was photographed by Jack Cardiff.
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/21362

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2013 06:10 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not simply post the link to the film so that members can watch it themselves. One picture is worth a thousand words so the saying goes.

http://timeimage.wikispaces.com/Green+Girdle

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2013 07:34 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent link Robert. I notice from this that the British Council sponsored several Technicolor shorts during the war photographed by Jack Cardiff and Geoffrey Unsworth.

--------------------
Paul.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2013 09:01 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised Paul, such a lot of big names involved in a 10 minute production.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2013 03:26 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, Indeed. I believe Jack Cardiff started his career with the British subsidiary of Technicolor in the late 30s and there were only four Technicolor cameras in Britain during the war. I assume you hired both camera and their expert when using Technicolor.

--------------------
Paul.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2013 06:34 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been an excellent documentary about Jack Cardiff on one of the Freesat channels, you might have seen it, or it might come around again.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC