8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Specto 500 8/16 120V 300W halogen conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Specto 500 8/16 120V 300W halogen conversion
James Gillespie
Junior

- posted November 22, 2013 09:23 AM      Profile for James Gillespie   Email James Gillespie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am hoping to learn from members who have experience with halogen conversion of the Specto 500 lamphouse. Would like to draw 120V power, for the QLV-1 halogen lampholder, from the availble 240V source if possible. If necessary, I am prepared to run a new 120V line to the projector specifically for the lamphouse and possibly an extra cooling fan.
Cheers, James

--------------------
Film is like rope ...
A Sailor's work is never done ...
Press on !!

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 22, 2013 09:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mention you have a 240 volt source. Here is what my Specto 500 has been converted for using.
http://www.uklightbulbs.co.uk/cgi-bin/site-editor.pl/8/-ecommerce?action=item;item=A1247;eid=P405716

--------------------
Maurice

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2013 02:44 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, would this lamp be suitable for the older Spectos that originally had a 30 volt lamp? Cheers MIKE

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 23, 2013 03:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Michael.
The 30volt lamp was 100watt, the model 500 had a 115volt 500watt lamp. Therefore, the 100watt model would have insufficient cooling.

--------------------
Maurice

James Gillespie
Junior

- posted November 27, 2013 10:36 AM      Profile for James Gillespie   Email James Gillespie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... I am midway through a conversion to 120v 300w Halogen ELH lamp!
... Cleared away old resistor/pre-heat coil from old lamphouse.
... Ran new 120v supply to projector, fuse, switch, etc.
... Today will shop for a quiet computer cooling fan to add in the lamphouse.
... Cheers, James

--------------------
Film is like rope ...
Press on !!

James Gillespie
Junior

- posted December 06, 2013 11:57 AM      Profile for James Gillespie   Email James Gillespie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino had mentioned that on his Specto there was a transformer reducing the lamphouse current to 110Vac.

With my Specto the 120V 500W lamp part of the circuit was dependent on the
Resistance in the pre-heat coil, and even varied with change in motor speed.
So, cleared away the old coil and left motor circuit intact at 240V.

So I have run a separate 120V line to the projector for the halogen lamp and additional CPU cooling fans run off of a wee 12V 1Amp transformer.

I removed all obstructions and established required 'working distance' of lamp to film plane, and have amazingly brilliant light in the frame but a strange large circle of fainter light from the reflector bulb ... Will post pics later

--------------------
Film is like rope ...
Press on !!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC