8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm problem
Nicholas Faust
Junior

- posted November 29, 2013 08:45 AM      Profile for Nicholas Faust   Email Nicholas Faust   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a 16mm Bell & Howell 2580A it is a slot load projector. I currently am having the problem of the film getting to tight above the film gate and the film becoming to lose below. After a few seconds of running the film becomes tight against the roller making a horrible noise and shaking the image. I am new to film and at a dead end. Has anyone had this problem or knows what it is.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 04:23 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicholas, I'm sure other members with more experience than me will reply in due course. It sounds like the classic "lost top loop" problem to me. While it may be a projector fault it is worth checking the film for sprocket hole tearing as this is a common cause. Clean the gate and film path with a small soft brush to remove dirt and bits of film and try a different film. Watch carefully with the cover door open and switch off immediately if you lose the loop to minimize further film damage. If its a projector fault I would get it professionally repaired or sell for spares rather than risk further damage.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 03, 2013 05:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film has damage to its perforations the claws will not pull through the gate and there will be a problem with the loops, however, contrary to what Paul has said, the top loop will get larger and the bottom loop smaller.

In these instances this is what the manual loop former control is for.

But Nicholas' problem seems a possible problem with the set up whilst in thread mode which does not form all the loops correctly. In this case it is probably a case of having the projector professionally checked over.

I have two of the model 1680 which are earlier models of the 2580 and both recently needed my service engineer to do various work including adjustment of the load lever and latches.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 07:17 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Torn film perforations will cause the top loop to increase and the bottom loop to decrease. My mistake.

--------------------
Paul.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 10:55 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 2580 is very good at letting torn sprockets through I've never had allot but a few here and there go through fine.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 03, 2013 11:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I had a problem with a projector loosing its loop and of course we always blame the film. In the end and after endless head scratching I found it was a loose grub screw inside the projector that locked the drive sprocket. Ironic I spend days trying to work out what the problem was and it took seconds to tighten the screw up!

Grab the the film drive sprocket and see if you can turn it manual, it may just be a similar fault.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Nick
Is the film bunching up in front of the sound Roller?
It may be the gear its a 32 tooth gear with a metal incert in
the middle , that breaks away from the plastic over the years
Its hard to see its behind the transformer its used on the
Lower Sprocket Gear 1580/2580 #015533 i have these on my web siye with a picture of it Grab the lower sprocket and if you can turn it by hand its the gear
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC