8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Dark angles on Heurtier

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dark angles on Heurtier
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 04:12 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never tried a 16 mm film on my Heurtier tri-format 53 projector, only 9.5 mm and 8 mm, and there were no problems.
Now I have noticed these dark corners with a 16mm film, the objective is to blame? It would take a greater wide?
The cloth where I projected had some bends, but I tried to project from various angles and distant (but not more than 2m, I have no space), nothin..., corners of film, right side above all, remain dark.

-

|  IP: Logged

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one?
But... I can change lens at Heurtier tri-format 53?

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2014 05:31 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've no experience with the Heurtier Tr-Gauge projector but it looks to me like the wrong lens or the lamp or condenser is out of adjustment. A dichroic mirror lamp does not require a condenser of course.

--------------------
Paul.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2014 06:53 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's the lens, because with the 8mm and 9.5mm films all goes well, the picture is complete.
I have a on Heurtier an Angeniuex F 20 - 1:1,5
Means that "not enough" for 16mm and, instead, is good for 8mm and 9.5mm?
How do I know? Indeed, the lens where the lens attaches is smaller than the 16mm frame...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 17, 2014 10:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grahame Newnham's 9.5mm site says that the Heurtier Supertri 53 (from 1953) uses a 110 volt lamp of 250/500 watts.
Perhaps this means that for 16mm films the projector needs the 500 watt lamp which would obviously have a larger filament than the 250 watt lamp.
The 500 watt lamp would then be able to fill the 16mm frame.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 17, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is strange is that 9,5 and 16 mm have almost the same size as 9,5 has central perforations.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 10:13 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should I try a 500 watt lamp, but it is also true what he says Dom. I also feel free to contact Grahame.

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 10:58 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, try this to see if it's a topic of lamp or lens.
Remove the lens and run a film with lamp on. Looking through a pin-hole, try to see if there is the same effect on the frame that you notice on the screen.
It may be a problem of centering the condenser.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 11:24 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before doing this test, I ask you: if it was a problem of centering of condenser, it is normal that in 8mm and 9.5mm see, instead, all okay?

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 11:43 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes for 8mm, it depends for 9.5. It would be helpful if you can post a picture of 9.5, to see if there is a slight masking also on that format.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I tried to take off the light for the projection and to keep on the "side light" that has the Heurtier, then I removed the lens during projection and I looked: the image is complete.

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2014 03:09 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, I've sent you a PM

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 20, 2014 07:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi. I had the large tri gauge with optical/magnetic sound for a number of years and it was a very solidly built machine although I never liked the inner lamp house design. Over the years I experienced shutter problems plus moving condenser issues the latter could also be your problem perhaps so I would look more in the lamp house than pointing the finger at the lens or the lamp perhaps.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2014 04:59 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do other tests and will update!

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2014 07:02 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After several tests and confirmation that the lamp is 500 watts, it is understood that the objective f 20mm is too "strange" for 9.5mm and 16mm, I need one that would prevent vignetting.
If anyone has suggestions on a compatible model so be it!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC