8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » G45 Gun Camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: G45 Gun Camera
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 03:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On another topic I mentioned that the Specto Analysing Projector was used by the RAF to check film from aircraft gun cameras. One such camera was the G45 which was put on the amateur market brand new after the war by Harringay Photographic Ltd, 435 Green Lanes, London N4.

The company started trading after the war mainly to sell photographic items from Government surplus stocks, including the much loved 16mm sound projector, the GBL516.

The G45 took 25' of 16mm film, and had three speeds, 16, 18 & 20. In aircraft use one of the three speeds was selected depending on the type of machine gun being used.

The Amateur Cine World magazine often had articles giving help in using the camera for home use as they were offered at quite a cheap price. Their main problem was electrical drive and no viewfinder. Harringay also sold the 25' lengths of unexposed film which I believe were always in demand.

The company lasted about 25 years and then closed, mainly due to the lack of supplies which by now had been completely exhausted.

If you would like to see details of the camera, click on the link.

http://www.militaryautographs.com/item.asp?itemnum=605

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2014 04:13 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've posted on here on the subject of my Home-Made anamorphic lens which I made when I was a Student in London in about 1954..... well, this camera is the one we made it for!
Only ever made one short film with it... shots of a football match.
Trouble was, we had to cart car batteries to run the camera!

[ January 16, 2014, 05:47 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 17, 2014 02:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
I seem to recall that you have/had a Specto Analysing projector. Can you tell me what the 3-pin socket is for?

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2014 02:43 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regrettably, I've never had one of those, Maurice.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 17, 2014 04:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was talk a couple of years ago that you were interested in acquiring one from a fellow member.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC