8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Archival film cans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Archival film cans
Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2014 01:57 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All, while my collection is small I do have a few very rare titles including some Kodascopes, which I think probably ought to stored in proper archival film cans that allow air to circulate and gases to escape, staving off vs. The kind I want are the chunky Tuscan ones that allow the film to be stored on a spool, with the air vents underneath.

Does anyone know of a UK source for these or will I have to order from America? Anyone had experience with these archival cans?

Many thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 17, 2014 04:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
Here are six 400' Tuscan cans on eBay from Australia.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulk-lot-of-6-x-400ft-16mm-empty-plastic-movie-film-cans-tins-short-reel-tuscan-/161193710355?pt=US_Film&hash=item2587e4d313

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2014 06:15 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice but those seem to be the conventional kind - the ones I am looking for allow air to circulate through holes in the can:

http://tuscancorp.com/cart/archival-film-storage-16mm-800ft/

Anyone know about these and where to obtain them in the UK?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 17, 2014 06:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
I have never heard of these cans with holes in. I was at the BFI archives at Berkhamsted some years ago and they never mentioned using anything special in the way of cans.
I suppose you could use conventional cans and make your own ventilation holes.

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2014 02:54 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice, maybe I'm getting paranoid about nothing. I got the impression that a lot of US collectors used these for the larger gauges to reduce the risk of vs. Maybe I'll just get some molecular sieves for my existing cans.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 18, 2014 03:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Storage in warm and humid conditions can greatly accelerate the unsought of V.S., this perhaps appertains more to the USA than in the U.K.
Our climate is more to the storage recommendation of cold and moderately dry conditions.

--------------------
Maurice

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2014 04:03 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Urbanskifilm.com Larry Urbanski has been a film products dealer for many, many years and I can vouch for his credibility. Very nice chap. He sells the vented cans you're looking for.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 31, 2014 07:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have bought one or two archival cans from Larry - they were 200' ones and possibly not representative of all he sells, but mine were rather like normal cans with holes made in them! It's an expensive business buying can from overseas, so you could consider getting out a drill! The holes on mine were along the lower edge of the bottom.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2014 05:00 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
l just purchase the standard plastic film cans and use a soldering iron on low setting and put five or six small holes in the bottom of the can.
it beats paying the few extra $$$ for the ventilated ones.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 04:24 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My delivery of 16mm Tuscan archival film cans arrived yesterday from Larry Urbanski in America. I thought I'd give a brief report in case anyone else is thinking of getting them.

They're not expensive per se, but once you include shipping they work out at about £5 per 800' can. They have air holes and ridges in the bottom of the can, so that an air current can flow under the reel of film. Not quite as sturdy as the old blue Tuscan cans but sturdy enough. Nice looking and easy to label.

The only thing I don't like (apart from the expense) is that while they are big enough in diameter to accommodate any 16mm spool (or 900' 9.5 spool), most spools stick up above the top of the can very slightly, so if you have a large pile the bottom spools will probably get squashed over time. As some of my films are on cores, I've just put these ones at the bottom.

There is a UK source for a different design as well, but no spools will fit in these, they have to be on cores: https://www.preservationequipment.com/Store/Products/Archival-Storage/Photographic-Storage/Polypropylene-Movie-Film-Cans

Hope that's helpful. I think some of the DIY options mentioned in other posts could be the way to go!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 09:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
I don't like the fact that "most" spools are proud of the lower part and the lid could compress them.
Do any spools fit in correctly?

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2014 04:12 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very slim metal spools fit fine, and the old metal Clydon spools pretty much fit (they stick up a fraction of a mm). The ones that visibly stick up are modern plastic spools like the blue Tuscan ones. Weird, as these cans are made by Tuscan. I'll ask Larry about it. All 9.5 spools are fine.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC