8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » A Warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Warning
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2014 07:40 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "The Poseidon Adventure" 16mm 'scope print is for sale on eBay. If anyone is contemplating buying it there is something you should know. I bought it and returned it. It's unwatchable.

The seller said the film has lines. What he didn't say was how bad they are. Large green emulsion scratches are plentiful and constant throughout.

He also said there were some "jump splices" at end of reel 1. He didn't say how much footage was missing. About 5 min., actually. The purser telling everyone to stay put, Pamela Sue Martin's rescue from the table on the ceiling and the Christmas tree falling are all gone.

For those who know me, this is very upsetting. I find my Holy Grail and it turns out to be a dud.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 21, 2014 09:04 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Thank you for the warning.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 22, 2014 03:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Chris could put up a link to this film sale so that members can be advised of the seller.

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2014 08:04 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-SCOPE-The -Poseidon-Adventure-1972-All-Star-Classic-CINEMASCOPE-/281247407094?pt=US_Film&hash=item417ba6dbf6

The picture in the auction is not from the film. It is a screenshot from the DVD.

-

Also, there is the issue with the refund.

Here is the message I got from eBay:

"A full refund will be issued through PayPal once the item is delivered. The seller will issue you a refund within 3 days."

I sent this message to eBay Customer Support on Dec. 28:

"The defective film was mailed to the seller on Dec. 16. It was delivered to him on Dec. 23. I have not received a refund. I sent a message asking for a refund. The seller has not responded."

He never did.

The film was covered through eBay. They gave me the refund.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 22, 2014 08:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Chris, I see there is one bid on the film. The seller doesn't have much else to sell, no films.

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2014 09:16 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He had more. He sold five films last November. He received feedback for only one. A 'scope print of "West Side Story". The buyer said, "Only flaw:light green scratch 20 m.far left R3>TOP AUDIO&FOCUS DEPTH=A1 SELLER!!"

I did not leave any feedback because I'm not sure I can. I've returned defective items from other sellers. They took care of the problem right away. I never left them feedback. This is the first time a seller never responded. Once eBay Support took over my case, I couldn't contact the seller any more. I guess I thought that was it.

If I can leave negative feedback, it's too late for whoever bid on the film.

I would like to contact them and tell them to retract their bid. Unfortunately, there is no way I can.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 22, 2014 10:13 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to advise against giving a negative feedback. I once had trouble with a purchase and gave a negative feedback, however the seller also gave me a similar feedback which was not called for, revenge I guess.

Just don't respond if you are unable to give a positive feedback.

--------------------
Maurice

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2014 10:56 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sellers aren't allowed to give negative feedback to buyers. It's been that way for awhile. Is it allowed in England?

Sorry for your troubles Chris. Don't get discourage. Keep trying.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 22, 2014 11:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was some years ago, Larry.
Perhaps eBay have changed the rules in the UK since then. They are always changing their rules.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC