8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Ampro Mains Plug

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ampro Mains Plug
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 15, 2014 04:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought an Ampro Stylist New Educational and realised that its Jones plug and socket is exactly the same as that used by Bell & Howell, but after checking the paperwork I discovered that the wiring is completely different between the two.

So, members acquiring a British Ampro made by Kelvin & Hughes for Simplex-Ampro which may come without a mains lead should be aware of the difference.

The 4-pin Jones line socket can be obtained via this link.

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/38541-8404/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtlHkZW%252b%252bquYUElzrOk8zvbAGuJEXacC9c%3d

The plug inlet is at the front of the projector and if examined closely with a strong light or torch the numbers can be seen alongside each pin. The plug has four pins arranged vertically as 2 by 2. There is a small round pin between two of the flat pins which is for locating and to ensure that the mating socket can only be inserted one way.

Looking directly at the plug not the line socket with the locating pin at the top the pins are as follows: 14 at top left, 13 at top right, 16 at bottom left and 15 at bottom right.

Wiring is: pin 16=earth, 15=neutral, 14=motor/amplifier, 13=lamp.

The reason that the lamp has its own connection is to be able to use the Lamp Resistance Unit (which was available as an accessory) which supplied 115 volt. For the same wattage, the 115 volt lamps give a better light output than the 240 volt lamps.

I should add that all the above only applies to British made models. I have no information on US models.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC