8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Subtitles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Subtitles
Robin Jansen
Junior

- posted March 27, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Robin Jansen   Email Robin Jansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long time ago I saw a machine to attach subtitles to a film on the dutch version of ebay. Today I was wandering how subtitles were attached to films. Dan anyone explain?

--------------------
Regards,

Robin.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2014 06:40 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robin,
Prior to the modern digital era there were two main methods: 1) Optical and 2) Chemical. The optical method involved the combined printing of the negative and sub-tiles on to a positive print. The chemical method used wax or paraffin and heat treatment in a kind of printing press directly on to the film print. More details here:
History of Sub-titling

--------------------
Paul.

Robin Jansen
Junior

- posted March 30, 2014 04:32 PM      Profile for Robin Jansen   Email Robin Jansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. Explanation is loud and clear.

--------------------
Regards,

Robin.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2014 07:12 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the labs we oft used the mentioned separate subtitle neg. supplied, placed between the picture neg and print stock. Also available were various aspect ratio negs for clients who had shot full screen but required a 'wide screen' effect on their prints.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC