8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & Howell anamorphic lens bracket

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell anamorphic lens bracket
Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2014 08:02 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bell & Howell 16mm projectors such as the TQ1 have three holes in what I will call the main centre plate. They are arranged in a triangle just ahead of the lens. I suspect that they are for mounting a bracket to carry an anamorphic lens. I am wondering if anybody can confirm this, and better still, if I am correct, whether they might know of a photograph or other illustration of the bracket. I would like mount a Sankor 16D anamorphic lens, which is quite heavy, on my Model 655 projector, and I do not really wish to mount it directly onto the lens, which I think is done with lighter lenses by means of an adapter ring.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2014 07:13 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,
I must admit I heven't seen the three holes you mention but the area in front of the lens is often occupied by a threading diagram. It may be a mod by a previous owner? A free standing anamorphic lens holder may be your best answer or a clamp attached to the supply reel arm.

--------------------
Paul.

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2014 10:46 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul.

Thank you for your message.

Every picture I have seen of a 6XX series projector shows the three holes I refer to. The later machines which, generally carry the lacing information, to which you refer, do not appear to have them. I am therefore convinced that the holes are for mounting a bracket and were not owner modifications. The problem is I have not come across any information in any publication - official B & H or otherwise - about how an anamorphic lens might be attached by means of a bracket. I know that B & H supplied an anamorphic lens which fixed directly to a projection lens - a kind of matched pair arrangement, and I know also that many owners of B & H machines attach anamorphic lenses - generally the smaller lenses used on Eiki projectors, for example - by means of an adapter ring fitted directly to the B & H projection lens. Eiki did make a proper bracket which is fixed to the centre plate of the projector, but I wish to use a Sankor 16D lens which has a 52mm barrel and is considerably larger and heavier than the smaller and lighter Eiki type lens, not just because I believe the 16D lens is an excellent lens, but also because I am concerned that the additional weight of a heavier lens will stress the projection lens mounting.

Anyway, I am grateful to you for your reply and in the event that anybody out there reading these postings happens to have any information on the point, it would be gratefully received.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 08, 2014 03:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As there is no mention of these holes as they are obscured by a metal instruction plate I do not think that Bell & Howell intended them to be used for a scope lens. If they did they obviously changed their mind later.

Referring to the Instruction Book for the 1692/1693/1694/1695/1698 all they say is under Accessories Available is "Anamorphic lens for CinemaScope and similar films." No picture or details of attachment.

More help from the Instruction Book for the 1680. "Because of its exceptional light output the model 1680 is excellent for CinemaScope and other anamorphic films giving a double width picture. The attachment, with its adapter ring screws into the existing projector lens or any of the accessory lenses except the 100mm". It also shows a picture of the lens.

I use the standard Bell & Howell scope lens without any problems with unsteadiness. If you are not aware of this lens, it's fairly hefty, 510 grams (1lb 3oz) and is approximately 120mm (just under 5") long.

As I said, I've never experienced problems with it.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2014 03:59 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the pre-TQ manually threaded projectors have the threading diagram. Checking my 8D644 the threading diagram is fixed in front of the lens. I found my copy of the TQ series instructions and it shows the three holes on photos of the 652Q, 655Q and 658Q. No indication of what they are used for if anything.

--------------------
Paul.

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2014 06:39 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking all of this information into consideration, one is simply left to conclude that it is one of life's puzzles.

I find myself drawn to the idea that B & H might have contemplated producing a bracket but opted instead for a ring fitting - why otherwise would the three holes have been provided in such a strategic position?

That having been said, I quite like the idea of using a bracket. It seems to me to be an altogether better way.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC