8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & Howell 16mm 2 inch f1.2 projection lens thread size

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell 16mm 2 inch f1.2 projection lens thread size
Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 08:41 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering if anybody knows the thread size on the Bell & Howell 16mm 2inch f1.2 projection lens. It is, of course, a female thread into which one might screw an adapter ring or anamorphic lens. I have tried measuring the diameter of the thread but it is difficult to determine whether it is 52mm or 53mm, and I don't have anything with a 52mm thread which I could try. I have tried to find a specification produced by Bell & Howell, but so far without success.

Thanks in anticipation

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 10:17 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your pretty safe in assuming 52mm as 53mm is not a standard lens filter mount size, the next larger standard diameter is 56mm.

--------------------
Paul.

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 04:42 PM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your response.

I suspect you are correct in suggesting that it is a 52mm thread. Certainly there is a logic to it.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2014 07:00 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the next larger standard diameter is 56mm.

I should have said 55mm then 58mm. Here is link to SRB Photographic who supply stepping rings and adaptors
http://srb-photographic.co.uk/

--------------------
Paul.

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2014 05:12 PM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul...

Amazing! I went to see SRB Photographic today without having seen your message. I took with me both the Bell & Howell and Sankor lenses. They were extremely helpful, and I learnt that the thread on the Bell & Howell projection lens is not only a non-standard size but also that it is a 54mm thread. They agreed to make a couple of rings to fit the Sankor 16D lens on to the Bell & Howell projection lens. The thread on the anamorphic lens was confirmed as 50mm.

I have to say that I was most impressed with their helpfulness.

Regards.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 22, 2014 03:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's great news to learn that SRB are still in business and that they continue to produce items to order.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2014 03:06 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice....
Not only that, they have just completed a move into new premises.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2014 04:06 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news about your assistance from SRB. They do seem to be a goldmine of knowledge going back decades. About 5 years ago they made up an adaptor for mounting a Proskar anamorphic on a Canon 310XL for me at a very reasonable price.

I should have realised that the Bell Howell front screw thread would be more than 52mm since the rear barrel is already 51mm.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC