8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Projector looks different

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Projector looks different
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2014 06:57 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking through some old magazines I bought. This 16mm projector was advertised on the back.
 -

Looks unusual.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
That is an unusual projector. From the mid 1950s? Microtechnica were an Italian manufacturer in Turin. In the 1970s their 16mm projectors were imported to the UK in small numbers and Andrew Alden in his Bolex book suggested they manufactured the later Bolex 16mm projectors the 421 and 521. See also their entry in the Super8data website: www.super8data.com

--------------------
Paul.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2014 03:47 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting site. Looking through the projector lists I hadn't realised Eumig had produced optical sound projectors - Eumig Mark S OM-A and OM-B.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2014 02:41 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the first image of the projector and then this one
 -

You'll see better this is a mirror image and the film side looks like every other projector I have seen, but the original the controls are on the opposite side.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 20, 2014 03:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood why a few 16mm sound projectors were made left-handed, two others I know of were the Carpenter, a great heavy beast with chain drive, and the light-weight Danson.

--------------------
Maurice

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2014 06:23 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of these, it goes rather well.
I was told one of the reasons for the left handed design of some projectors was to skirt around patents etc, I also have a MOVIE-MITE which is left handed, There was several pairs of 35mm machines that where sold as 1 left and 1 right, very handy for a small projection booths.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2014 12:30 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The name MICRON is also reversed on the badge giving away that it's a mirror image.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2014 02:10 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad. The second image is to show how most projectors look. If you look from the rear on all the projectors I have ever seen, the film and controls are on the right hand side.

On this one they are on the left. It could be like Patrick says a patents issue.

Wonder if you would find them harder to thread?

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC