8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Tips for Buying a 16mm Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tips for Buying a 16mm Projector
Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 01:26 PM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about making the leap from super 8 to 16mm and am in the market for a used sound projector with manual threading. Any thoughts on which models I might consider? This is for home viewing and I am interested primarily in black and white sound films. In your experience, which machines have the best track records for balancing reliability, sharpness of image, and clarity of sound ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 02:14 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a Kodak Pageant 250S, in my opinion those are the best machines. If you can find a magnetic sound AV-12M6 Kodak, get that one instead because you can burn variable brighter lamps--up to 1000W.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2014 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gerald, I appreciate the tip. I'll look into both projectors.

By the way, do you know the difference between the AV-12M6 and the AV-126-TR?

Thanks very much.

best,
mark

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 07:13 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Any manual threading Bell & Howell is worth checking out as long as the worm gear is intact. Go for the US made models in the 500 series made in the early 60s.

--------------------
Paul.

Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 10:01 AM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Paul,

I'll check out these models too.

best,
mark

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 28, 2014 10:39 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have enough room, it is not a problem but otherwise, be aware that 16 mm projectors are semi-professionals so you may have a smaller picture than in Super 8 at the same distance as these machines were intended to be put in a projection room. So check the lens (and the noise of the machine. Again, if you have enough room, ni problem.

--------------------
Dominique

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 01:29 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominque is right. The picture may be sharper, but the unit needs to be pretty far back from the screen/wall in order to truly benefit from the larger format. Schools would have projectors way in the back of an auditorium for screenings to a large group. I love 16mm, but only use it for very large attendance in a room qualified for such a presentation.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 28, 2014 01:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd consider a late model Eiki such as a SSL, SNT or ENT. Probably not the very best in terms of reliability but they can often be found for a reasonable price and as production ended as recently as 2003, many have had very little use and most spares are readily available, as are lenses to cover every sort of throw. They are also considered relatively easy to repair, if something goes wrong. The later models also have a stylish appearance that beats most other projectors in cosmetic terms.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 02:04 PM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, for all of the helpful suggestions. I've narrowed it down to the Pageant, Bell and Howell, and the Eiki, which is a good start for me.

best,
mark

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 28, 2014 08:37 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bell & Howell 1580 Slot Load that is great. Manual threading and booming sound! Best part is I only paid 25.00 for it! And that included and extra exciter and projection bulb.

-

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2014 09:48 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat that looks like my 2580 great machine for films that may have shrunk or have slightly torn sprockets very gentle on films the eikis have a loop shut down if a bad splice or torn sprocket comes through the gate it will shut down...great feature. They also have adjustable lamp settings.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2014 03:03 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
be aware that 16 mm projectors are semi-professionals so you may have a smaller picture than in Super 8 at the same distance
As Dominique and Brad said you need a long throw to get a big picture as most 16mm projectors come with 50mm/2inch lenses as standard. These require a distance to the screen 5.2 times the screen width. Shorter focal length lenses such as 32 or 38mm or zoom lenses are better for home use. These can be expensive. Good luck.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 29, 2014 05:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Living in the UK I have no knowledge of Pageant projectors, I don't think they were ever imported.

The best projector that I have that is very kind with old and often brittle/warped film is the Bell & Howell, although I don't recommend a slot-loader which are fine when they are well adjusted but one is never completely sure that it is threaded correctly as you cannot see.

The well-known problem with the Bell & Howells is the worm gear which often cracks after time, this means a very expensive repair bill, not only for a new worm, but the virtual strip-down necessary for its renewal.

An additional problem in the US might be finding a mechanic who could do the job, so be very wary in your purchase. An ideal projector would be one with a recently fitted worm-gear and a receipt to prove it.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC