8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Siemens model 2000 16mm projector , asbestos query

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Siemens model 2000 16mm projector , asbestos query
Phil Clarke
Junior

- posted August 04, 2014 04:13 AM      Profile for Phil Clarke   Email Phil Clarke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all

I have an offer from an estate sale of a mint condition Siemens 2000 16mm projector, late 1950s. Haven't looked it over in detail yet but it's probably an early model. From my quick inspection it looks like the lamp house is lined with a thin asbestos sheet. Can anyone confirm? As usual when dealing with estate sales the machine has not been used for some yrs and I'm a bit wary of running it up to speed only to have the room filled with noxious particles. :-)

And if this is the case, it looks (from quick inspection) like a simple job to remove and replace the thin asbestos layer with something less carcinogenic. Has anyone reading actually done this?

Info welcome!

cheers
Phil

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2014 04:47 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hazard from asbestos chiefly arises when it is disturbed and microscopic dust is emitted from the broken edges so I would on no account touch the asbestos layer. Running the projector may be OK if the asbestos is undamaged but I would not run the risk. It may be possible to hermetically seal the asbestos but this is not something I know how to do.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2014 10:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't touch the purchase.

I once was given one that hadn't been used for years. It ran for about two or three seconds, then quickly increased its speed, and some three or four seconds later there was a huge bang, it stopped, and then clouds of blue smoke were emitted.

Very frightening. It went straight into the dust-bin.

--------------------
Maurice

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2014 02:34 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Phil,
congratulation to your Siemens 2000.
Yes, asbestos sheets 1mm thick are just around lamp house.
Go outside - not in house - when removing it.
Bent steel holders very gently and carefully, otherwise they break off during rebending when you insert asbestos-free heat shields.
There is a small asbestos washer underneath ceramic 3-pole plug (first pull off wire wound resistor, do not try to turn, that will break ceramic plug!)

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2014 01:44 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,
Even outside it is still risky. Why not get a licensed asbestos disposal firm to deal with it using Josef's instructions as they will have the correct PPE.

--------------------
Paul.

Phil Clarke
Junior

- posted August 05, 2014 08:01 AM      Profile for Phil Clarke   Email Phil Clarke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info all that is what I suspected

Light the blue touchpaper etc :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC