8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » The Eiki Xenon vs Halogen.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Eiki Xenon vs Halogen.
Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 09:03 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell all,
once again, I come to you for advice and guidance [Smile] !!! I am thinking about starting up a small 16mm cinema and have been hearing a lot about xenon projectors lately. I looked up a few on EBay and found them to be rather pricey. Is the price in unison with the brightness difference over a Halogen machine to ensure a crisp picture with a long throw projection or...? I already have an EIKI SSL-O (250 watt Halogen lamp) so please compare with the same to give me an idea [Smile] ? Thanks once more to you all and happy hump day [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
ET

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 09:45 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Elyas,
As a rough rule of thumb, the low-end Xenon projectors provide 3 times the light output of the same type of projector with the 250W lamp so you can have a picture 3 times the area for the same brightness. This is equivalent to 1.7 times wider and taller.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 10:46 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much more of an improvement in picture size for a lot more money, plus the cost of lamp replacement.
I assume the light from a xenon will have a higher temperature than that of a halogen lamp which could make it appear brighter.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 01, 2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Elyas do you have a xenophot 259 bulb in as adds equivelant of 50 watts more and a brighter whiter light so like 300 watt really. They are great the Xenophots.

Also can you get a decent lens with more light going through.

For reliability the std machine you have is much better really.

Best Mark.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 05:22 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot guys,
you're always a tremendous amount of help [Smile] !!! Mark, can I use the Xenophot for my Eiki? I'll look it up on ebay in the mean time [Smile] ...

Thanks a ton,
ET

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2014 09:32 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elyas, you can indeed use a Xenophot ELC for the Eiki, however, in my tests a Ushio bulb was brighter still. Surprise!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 02, 2014 03:16 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you get those Bill.

THe A1/259 Xenophot is great itself and cheap too Elyas but must check those out as well.

Best Mark.

PS don`t jump on the first ebay ad you see as people often try it on with the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USHIO-Haloge n-Projector-Lamp-ELC-24V250W-New-Free-Shipping-/271612468520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3d5d5d28

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osram-HLX-24V-250Watts-lamp-ELC-64653-Halogen-Photo-projector-Xenophot-378is-/121429396533?pt=US_Projector_Lamps_Components&hash=item1c45c18c35

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 02, 2014 06:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting take on lamps from everyone. For what its worth I absolutely swear by the GE ELC 24v 250W USA produced. A bright long lasting lamp I have found. [Cool]

By the way if I'm just checking a film in semi daylight I usually change the lamp to a 'stage lighting or pool lighting' type usually about half the price.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 02, 2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that the link to an USHIO lamp in Mark's posting is for a long life disco lamp, in view of its long life its output is considerable lower than that of an ELC designed for a film projector.

--------------------
Maurice

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 01:27 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank U all so much, that was quite some help from y'all [Smile] !!!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2014 10:06 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this link from BulbAmerica shows you what I tried. Sorry, it's not in Canada.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2014 08:42 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill,
I noticed that it's got a way shorter life span than my current bulb of 300 hrs. Still, I could just use it for audience screenings [Wink] !!! Thanks a bunch and have yourself a great weekend [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
ET

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC