8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Curious if these are available

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curious if these are available
William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just some film i would like to know if they are available on 16mm if anyone could help thanks.I know some quite obscure but you dont know without asking [Smile]

1.The Year of living Dangerously
2.The Princess Bride
3.The Deadly Spawn
4.Critters
5.The Ghoulies
6.A Nightmare on Elm Street
7.Halloween III Season of the witch
8.Legend
9.Conan the Barbarian
10.Beast Master

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 29, 2014 03:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm features were never offered for sale as new prints, most seemed to enter the second-hand market via American TV stations disposing of their unwanted stock. When colour arrived, many black & white films appeared for sale as there was no further use for them.
Any recent titles may have dubious origins.

--------------------
Maurice

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2014 03:55 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now im confused :/ so any recent titles i see out there are illegal?

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2014 04:39 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
william, all those features you have listed will be on 16mm, just a question of waiting for them to appear for sale, or track down.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 29, 2014 06:53 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William you could subscribe to classic home cinema,s mag if you don`t already and put a wanted Ad. All those are about as Clyde says.

EU only I`d say as nuts post for a feature and crackers customs fees etc outside there are best avoided.

Best Mark.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2014 03:18 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,
I think what Maurice is saying is that some 16mm colour prints may be poor quality dupes, copied without permission of the copyright holders. There are good "official" prints around but beware cheap films copied from official prints. Since 16mm is no longer used for exhibition of new films (as far as I know) collectors no longer worry about holding 16mm films from before 1990.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 30, 2014 07:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However their origins, it is a sad truth that a lot of 16mm colour prints have by now been subjected to colour fade. To avoid this make sure that any possible acquisition is on Technicolor, Kodachrome, Agfa or LPP stock, all other processes will have succumbed in one way or the other.

There is Ektachrome which keeps its good colour, but the markings are often difficult to be sure of.

When buying any colour film the only way of being sure is to examine it before committing to purchase, this is where Film Conventions are worth their weight in gold.

--------------------
Maurice

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2014 01:40 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any 16mm title of a film first released theatrically after the early to mid 2000's are almost certainly unauthorized reductions from a 35mm release print.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 01, 2014 07:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I know that there have been much more tv channels in the US than in Europe, but were them numerous enough to be the main source of 16 mm features ? I thought that individuals (cine club, librairies or even normal cinémas were the main market for 16 mm films. I didn't know that 16 mm features had never been offered to individual customers.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 02, 2014 02:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some years ago there was an American monthly publication called "The Big Reel", it was in the form of a newspaper. It contained dozens of advertisers who dealt with 16mm film sales. There was one in, I think, somewhere in Florida, who said he had several warehouses with thousands of films for sale.

I bought many features over a period of time and most had obviously been TV prints. Once I was in Hollywood and met a dealer who was very coy about his sources, anyway, I came back with a full length "Mary Poppins".

Some of my prints have leaders with a lending library info tag, I understand in the USA that many local book libraries also hired out 16mm films.

The trade in 16mm feature films has always been shrouded in some mystery.

--------------------
Maurice

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2014 04:33 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would that have been Ray & Sharon Courts? I bought quite a few films from him over the years.

I've still got some old issues of the Big Reel, it was amazing the amount of titles available in each issue. They also had film & video articles.

That ebay has a lot to answer for.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC