8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » HELP with VitaFilm!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP with VitaFilm!
Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2015 02:02 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance to see again in Europe the VitaFilm lubricant???

It seems impossible to find it anywhere but in US, but they cannot export anymore...

I need to use it very soon on some 16mm acetate print that is starting to smell of vinegar... Any help on how to get it?

[Mad]

Thanks
Flavio

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 22, 2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavio, I don't think that you can stop so easily the vinegar syndrom. There are "cures" but with a professionnal material and the result dépends on the state of avancement of the disease.

--------------------
Dominique

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2015 02:23 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed i hope not to stop completely, even if they say this product CURES the VS, but I agree that it's not possible to stop it but at least to delay it...

Furthemore on the 16mm prints I had already applied it, the film is returned to be very soft (let me say in this way...) and i have no more problem to project them and to wind the film on the back spool.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 22, 2015 04:29 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worths a try then if you had a further good experience with it. I have only one film with vs but if Vitafilm is available in Europe, it would be nice to have to info.

--------------------
Dominique

James Romero
Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2015 08:00 PM      Profile for James Romero   Email James Romero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do carry Vitafilm, but as you say we cannot export it to Europe due to postal/custom restrictions, however we would be open to treating the print with Vitafilm in the U.S. for you and then returning the print after treatment and a set time for the print to adequately dry. Then we would return the print back to you. We have soaked 3 VS prints in our facility and have had great success with it. We do follow the complete soaking treatment for 24 hours and sealing the print for 6 months according to Stewart Film's (the manufacturer of Vitafilm) recommendations. If you are interested, please contact me at: thefilmforevercompany@gmail.com. Our website is: filmforevermpe.com.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2015 12:41 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavio
it is not going to stop the vinegar syndrome, it is only going to lubricate it and replace the vinegar smell with a different and somewhat more powerful smell, but the film will still be breaking down and deteriorating.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC