8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Meopta Club 16 projector (16 mm)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meopta Club 16 projector (16 mm)
Nick Vermeirsch
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2015 06:43 AM      Profile for Nick Vermeirsch   Email Nick Vermeirsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! Is there somebody who knows something more about the Meopta Club 16 projector? Would this be a quite reliable machine these days?

Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2015 02:25 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These were East German machines and their reputation is only so and so. If your German is OK, you can read about them on www.filmvorfuehrer.de
If you want reliable go for Eiki or Bauer. There are plenty around, they are easy to maintain, and lots of know how available on the forums.

Nick Vermeirsch
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2015 04:35 AM      Profile for Nick Vermeirsch   Email Nick Vermeirsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! It seems that there is not that much information on the net about this projector.. Thanks for the link anyway!

Anna Vacani
Junior

- posted June 15, 2015 07:22 AM      Profile for Anna Vacani   Author's Homepage   Email Anna Vacani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can read about Meopta, on our web site:
http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors.com/html/body_8mm_pr_page3.html#MeoptaCz1947

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 15, 2015 09:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Czech company of JSB was founded in 1930, and in 1948 was nationalised. Under the brand name of Meopta they introduced the 16mm sound projector model OP16 which came out in 1951.
In 1962 the Club model offered opt/mag sound playback and had a 1000 watt lamp.
Following this came the MeoClub 16 series, the last model being the Meoclub 16 Electronic 2 in 1984.
Altogether nine 16mm variants were manufactured.
In terms of buying such a projector nowadays depends on a good working model at a reasonable price. No doubt spares are now unobtainable.

--------------------
Maurice

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2015 09:53 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick

I had a pair of Meoclub projectors a few years ago but eventually sold them.

What I remember about them was the fact that they ran at 25fps and I think they also had an F=1.0 50mm fixed lens, which is an extremely fast lens.

dogtor frankarnstein
[Smile]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted June 20, 2015 11:44 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Meopta Electronic 2 and AS3 were later better models, they can I hear all be a bit loudish sometimes. I was never keen on the shue`s around the sprockets.

The Fite machine is still available new from ebay.de and very cheap is OK I hear, Maurice mentioned them recently, and all the Meopta`s take Bell and Howell Lense`s.

I think I`d gor for an affordable Eiki, but a decent Bauer will be superb and easier on some films as well with the 4 prong claw.
Also much better focusing than the eikis, bit of a let down on them.

Be good if someone could make an Eiki focus upgrade type thing.

Best Mark,

PS I had one of the Meoptas you mention, it just din`t do it for me myself.

Nick Vermeirsch
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Nick Vermeirsch   Email Nick Vermeirsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, everybody! I got some good informations here! Strange that a projector was made for 25 fps, I didn't know about that!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 11, 2015 05:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a P8 Nick?
I know nothing 16, but if I did I would be looking up one of these I reckon.

Maurice knows enough for us all on here regarding 16 Nick, speak with him buddy, his advice will be essential I would say, prior to making any purchase.

Good to see you posting on here Nick, and incidentally, sensational header by your compatriot last night BTW! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2015 07:40 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Bauer P7/8's..I have had a few of those - excellent with good solid claws..

I preferred them to the many Eiki/Elfs' I had in the past...never liked the lesser "prong" claw on the Eiki's...I always found prints had to be "perfect" to go through my Eiki. Whilst My Bauer's were so forgiving. (as is a good B/H as well).

Great machines!

Mark [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 12, 2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Come the day (Heaven forbid! lol), a P8 would be for me I'd say based on my S8 experiences with Bauer.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 12, 2015 02:05 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can recommend the Bauer. I have three of them, a P8 Universal Professional, and two Bauer clones badged as Rank Aldis.
Bauer models are very prolific on German eBay.

--------------------
Maurice

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Rank Aldis from new. It was a nightmare. Kept loosing sound. Went for repair several times and then was returned to Rank who sent it back wrapped in one piece of corrugated cardboard. When it arrived the handle was pulled completely out of the machine. Rank supplied a new one. It was fine till the drive belt broke. Rank had disappeared and I discovered that getting hold of a belt (let alone the right one due to so many changes of model) needed the patience of Job. Gave it to a so called repairer who put an elastic band on it and removed it's ability to run silent films. The band broke after one film. The mechanic!!! had a second go which failed. Goodbye Rank Aldis. I'm glad you've had better luck Maurice

--------------------
Dave

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 12:48 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a Meopta but I have had many 16mm projectors. Just about all had differing downsides/compromises. My favourite regarding kindness to film is still the Debrie D16 with the unique 'V' gate, which guides the film through the gate, only touching the edges of the film, so the emulsion cannot be scratched or suffer other wear. It also employs large sprockets and a three toothed claw which enables it to better deal with damaged or shrunken film. The downside is that it is large, heavy and comprises of the projector, which is mounted on the separate valve amplifier unit, separate 110v transformer and separate speaker cabinet. If you are lucky it also comes with an aluminium tripod. It offers 16 and 24 fps but no rewind. Definitely a projector for the purist, but if you have the room to keep it permanently assembled, it is a definite contender.
Anyone thinking of getting one, be sure that it comes complete with all the units AND all connection cables, as the connectors are unique.

Nick Vermeirsch
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2015 03:58 PM      Profile for Nick Vermeirsch   Email Nick Vermeirsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was the fact, I had the chance to buy a Meopta Club (which I just like for its design, although I am as sure are you all that there are better projectors than this). It came from an elementary school, but... at the end, the man said that the connection cables were not there (I suppose, for a transformator or something, I think it was that that he told me then). Some years ago, an old man from which I was a friend, died and he had left me some film stuff (French and Dutch magazines, and a also a Siemens 2000 Projector). The projector is in excellent condition (esthetical), but after a short "inspection", I realised that it had no lense and he runs on 5 poles electricity.. So, looking for maybe a new projector (in fact, I can also buy a new lense, why haven't I thought about that? [Razz] ) Anyway, I should need a 16 mm projector just because I have bought from interest some 16 mm films (although I am now into super 8), it were training films from the Belgian Army and a 40 minutes film documentary about the olive tree [Razz] Would it be better to see this Siemens getting to work, or is this not the best 16 mm projector? The Meopta without the cables was about 40 euros..

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2015 12:40 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that the earlier Siemens 2000 models contain asbestos in the lamp house and have some asbestos covered wiring. Nothing too dramatic, but you want to get rid of all that before firing up the machine. Here you will find information how to do that: http://www.filmtec.franken.de and also here: http://www.olafs-16mm-kino.de

Good luck !

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC