8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Pathescope Gem 16mm projector going now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathescope Gem 16mm projector going now
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2015 04:04 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, yes I have just picked up today a Pathescope Gem 16mm that I won on an auction site.
It needs to have the plug replaced and checked but it is a16mm projector,it looks exactly like their 9.5mm & 8mm projectors.

Strangely I can't find any info on it on the web?

Any info on it and was it made in mass numbers?

Thanks,Clinton [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 28, 2015 06:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that few 16mm models were sold as most new 16mm owners would have required a projector with a more powerful lamp such as the Specto 500 or Bell & Howell 613.

--------------------
Maurice

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2015 05:24 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pathescope did manufacture and sell 16mm versions of the Gem but not nearly as many as the 9.5mm version. The Specto and Bell and Howells were more popular with 16mm enthusiasts, who were generally more affluent than 9.5ers. Ken Finch.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 03, 2015 05:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Ken.

Welcome to the Gem club Clinton! It's nice to collect the set which in the different colours look nice up on the shelf.
[Cool]

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,
Yes it is nice to own a projector that wasn't made in the high numbers.
The plug was a little bit loose and made a rattle sound to I decided to re-wire the plug .... Unfortunately the plastic surrounds of 2 of the coloured wires have become almost powdery so it will take a trip to my bro-in-law and hopefully he will be able to re-wire it otherwise it will be a display piece!

--------------------

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 01:06 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The powerlead has perished because when I cut the lead to put the plug back on, the plastic wire surrounds crumble.

Does anyone know how to access the part where the powerlead wires inside the base?

I could start undoing every screw and bolt but it would be better if there is a shortcut [Smile]

I've included some pics -
 -

-

-

Any thoughts or help appreciated [Smile]

--------------------

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 05:10 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clinton. As far as I remember the wiring is accessible by removing the base plate. It is a long time since I took one to pieces and that was the more complex SON. The metal body is common to both gauges. Suggest you ask in the 9.5mm forum as not everyone looks at all the forum topics. You certainly need to re wire it as it is lethal in its present state. ken Finch. [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 08, 2015 01:12 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ken. If the mains lead is as bad as you describe, the internal wiring is probably in a similar state.

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2015 10:36 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well my bro-in-law got it going,redid the wiring etc and now it clicks away nicely.He told me he is now very familiar with the working of these which is good because I just won a 9.5mm version that needs fixing!
Pathescope Gems are nice looking machine you must agree!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC