8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki Slimline vs. Kodak Pagaent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki Slimline vs. Kodak Pagaent
Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2015 11:20 AM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any thoughts on the relative strengths/weaknesses of each?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2015 12:11 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't say anything about the pageant unit Ive never had one I have nothing bad to say about the slim line unit I own 2 of them the only thing is my 2580 B&H handles older shrunken films and films with torn sprockets better than the slimline units. The slim lines shut down if the loop is lost I've have that happen a few times.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 03, 2015 12:26 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both.
The Slimline is a much later projector, and as such, spares may be more readably available.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model number Pageant?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 04, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Model is AV-12M6-L. (#A01080.) 220volts, 50cycles.
It has optical, magnetic record & play. 750watt lamp, transistorised amplifier, speaker in side case lid.

Click link to see the same model.

http://www.restaurarconarte.com/proyectores-de-cine/252-kodak-pageant-av-12m6-l-optico-magnetico.html

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 01:25 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I was asking Mark.

Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 05:40 PM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry,

I don't have a model number. Is there one that you would suggest (for the Eiki too)?

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2015 07:42 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, models not withstanding, Maurice is correct about the Eiki vs the Pageant. Older Pageants had amps that by now need new capacitors. The Eiki projectors are newer with solid state amps. Eiki projectors are highly regarded and have few problems.

Mark Kligerman
Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2015 01:15 PM      Profile for Mark Kligerman   Email Mark Kligerman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much Barry. This is very helpful.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2015 02:05 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other note that I will add here is that capacitors and resistors can be changed and upgraded on all the Pageant models. Once fixed (if repair is needed), it will "outshine" the SSL Eiki, especially the AV model that Maurice gives an example of. Eiki SSL will go up to 250w but so will the Pageant 250 models with the exact same EJL lamp, plus you can also get a bifocal diopter (or a zoom lens from an 8mm Bolex) to increase the picture size on the Kodak.

The superior AV12M6, will use up to 1200w lamps and as low as 100w for transfers, not to mention the three claw action plus magnetic sound. Wow, hands down -- the AV is the best 16mm projector in my book. But, I must admit that I've put it in storage to use for outside shows and am now using the SSL for every day screenings at home with a 38mm lens, a huge picture difference but, also very expensive and hard to find optics.

Parts for both, the Kodak and Eiki machines can be found easily, so it's wort a try to get both machines for their own practical uses depending on the kind of film experience you want to have.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2015 03:28 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the AV line is certainly superior to the earlier Pageants, the use of incandescent lamps is a negative, in my opinion. The mag/optical model Maurice has is a nice but very hard to find model. The mag option on 16mm machines was a sales point, but in reality, very rarely used. Recapping older projectors can certainly be done, but if you cannot do it yourself, it will likely cost you more than what you paid for the projector. If you are lucky, you may find someone locally to do it but if not, add the cost of shipping to and from the repair shop. Minimum of $30.00 each way. The 250 line has the halogen lamp, but I have read that there have been issues with the motors seizing on them. I have not experienced that personally.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2015 08:17 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I own both and have to say the EIKI beats the Kodak any day! The one thing I've personally noticed about the Kodak is that it is extremely unstable ( picture jumps up and down, unless it's an issue on mine alone :/?). Also, I own all three different lamps for the Kodak (750, 100 a,d 1,200 Watts), and still, the EIKI's ELC performs far better (I'm thinking because it's Halogen vs. Incandescent and the stock lenses are f/ 1.2 vs. 1.6 for the EIKI vs. the Kodak respectively).

My question is if anyone would be able to tell me if the Kodak would perform better with an f/1.2 lens, brightness-wise, that is, seeing as the lamp unit is at least 750 watts ( though incandescent). Thanks again [Smile] !!!

Best,
Elyas

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 03, 2015 04:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A f/1.2 lens will give a brighter picture than the f/1.6 lens.
I also suggest using the 1000 watt lamp in your Pageant.

--------------------
Maurice

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2015 03:37 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice,

also, is the ELC brighter than any of the Pageant lamps, even though it is just 250 Watts, just because it's Halogen or are the Pageant lamps brighter, seeing as they start at 750 Watts [Smile] ? Thanks again [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
Elyas

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC