8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Eiki 2 claw or 3 ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki 2 claw or 3 ?
Keith Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Keith Wilson   Email Keith Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do all eiki projectors use the same cam box with two claws ?
I do know the blue RM's and the and the brown NT1's are the same apart from the drive belt .I just wondered if they made a three claw model and did any body have one ? and what model is it

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2016 01:39 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not as far as am aware. Projectors with 3 tooth claws are in the minority which is a pity because it is a big advantage when projecting shrunken/damaged/splice film.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 19, 2016 07:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have seen though, they very quickly get very noisy indeed! One drawback unfortunately and maybe that is why more did not opt for three teeth claws.

When films are in good condition, 2 claws is ample I'd say.

Come the time the films need 3, something must be tearing away at the sprockets.
The more claws you have, the harder it is to obtain the correct and full penetration throughout the pulldown sequence both in forward but especially reverse projection.

Not surprisingly then, this will lead to even further noise resulting from the gate.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2016 08:41 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, The only 3 claw machine I have ever used is the Debrie D16 and that does not have a reverse. Beats me why you need a reverse anyway! However, I do appreciate that self threading machine seem to have them. Perhaps that is why they only have 2 claws. Ken Finch.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 19, 2016 09:33 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bauer P series have 3 claws Ken, and the later ones have 4! All feature reverse projection.

[ January 19, 2016, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bauer 4 claws on later P6, all P7 and all P8 donīt have any problems with penetrating through perforation neither in forward or reverse projection.
There is always one claw which forwards film frame by frame. Other 3 claws stay about in middle of perforation hole. They come in action when perforation is damaged, only.
2 claws and 3 claws are similar. There is always one claw with forwards film, only. The 2nd or 3th claw does not come in contact with film as long as it is undamaged.

Josef

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2016 01:24 PM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bauer 4 claws on later P6, all P7 and all P8 donīt have any problems with penetrating through perforation neither in forward or reverse projection.
There is always one claw which forwards film frame by frame. Other 3 claws stay about in middle of perforation hole. They come in action when perforation is damaged, only.
2 claws and 3 claws are similar. There is always one claw with forwards film, only. The 2nd or 3th claw does not come in contact with film as long as it is undamaged.

Josef

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 08, 2016 02:59 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big let down with the Eiki projectors that I have seen, and I do own a couple of them as a back up, is the "two claw" pull down. I have seen others using these machines and loosing the top loop through a bit of film damage is not uncommon. The Eiki projector is not a very forgiving machine with film, which is a pity as everything else about them is very well made.

Since the mid 90s I have used one of the later model three claw Bell and Howell slot loader, and that's been an excellent projector, very good on film over the years, plus you rarely loose a loop, nice steady picture in the gate due to that three claw operation and as such I use it all the time [Smile]

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2016 07:12 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too I have Bauer P6, P7 and P8. All have 4 claws and all movies pass very well even in reverse

--------------------
Tony

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2016 07:45 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Rank Aldis also 3 claws & very good in reverse.

--------------------
James Wilson

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC