8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » TQ111 take up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TQ111 take up
Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2016 02:13 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daft question. When rewinding on the BH TQ111 the take up arm is raised to the rewind position. Would it cause any damage to bypass this and run in that position all the time?

|  IP: Logged

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2016 04:08 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have ran mine like for years

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2016 05:21 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the rewind repaired a while back, but didn't think there was a connection to using in the 'up' position. Just wanted to be sure.
Thanks David.

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 05:28 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The design of the takeup is such that as the takeup spool gets fuller & hence heavier MORE torque is applied to the reel to ensure that what is wound onto the takeup is on nice and snug.
That small cloth belt in the takeup drives the spool via a small hinged arm so that as the weight increases the torque applied increases.
When the takeup arm is raised the reel is free-er to turn during rewind so again the correct tension on the rewound spool is correct.
In the raised position the hinge & the cloth belt arrangement is almost negated so what could happen is that the tension on the takeup spool is less than optimum & what is wound on could be quite loose & thus subject to possible scratching.,

If it works OK and you are not scratching film then fine but it is NOT as the maker intended.
If you are using library type films that you return in the "Tail Out" mode as most libraries used to require (so they could check returned films), any loosely wound films would be scratched quite badly in transit with loose coils of film rubbing against each other.
IT certainly DID happen with library films as I often saw on stuff returned to the company I was agent for in this state in the past. Quite NEW 16mm prints almost ruined with nasty horizontal scratches...Film Guard often made them reasonable but still visible on screen.
If you care for film I would NOT run the machine like that. [Smile]

--------------------
Lindsay

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2016 07:04 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that makes sense. Shall definitely think twice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC