8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Siemens 2000 speakers compatability

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Siemens 2000 speakers compatability
David Gardner
Junior

- posted August 18, 2016 02:59 AM      Profile for David Gardner   Email David Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an opportunity to acquire an impressive set of speakers from 16mm Siemens 2000 projector, but am unsure if they would function with other makes such as B&H or Eiki/Elf. The connection to amplifier is via a three pin plug marked 6w 250 volts, so am I right in assuming that the speakers require mains power not available from projectors mentioned above? If so can they be modified? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 18, 2016 06:23 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
I must admit that I do not know this projector. However, the 3-pin plug marked 6w 250volts sounds that it is the mains input to the amplifier.
A load-speaker connection would be a socket and would be marked accordingly.
Many speakers were mains energised before the 1939-1945 war, this was so that the speaker coil could be used as an HT choke, in this case the speaker lead would be 4-core.
With the advent of smaller components, projector amplifiers became self-contained, and the speakers would use a permanent magnet.

--------------------
Maurice

David Gardner
Junior

- posted August 18, 2016 03:01 PM      Profile for David Gardner   Email David Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the info Maurice. The three pin continental type plug mentioned is attached to a long lead which the vendor feels plugs into the projector amplifier and then connects to speakers via din plug. from what you say this not likely to be the case and it is probably the mains lead. I should have realised especially as there is also a two pin din connector on speakers. Now you have opened my eyes I will connect a speaker cable directly and see if I get any joy.(Should have done this originally but speakers and cables have never been my thing!)
David

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2016 03:45 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These speakers are not mains energised. The Seimens 2000 is a relatively modern 16 mm projector which employs permanent magnet speakers and will be compatible with other projectors of a similar ohm resistance.

Svein Sveinsson
Junior

- posted August 25, 2016 05:35 AM      Profile for Svein Sveinsson   Email Svein Sveinsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I ask how much the Siemens speakers are?

I've been trying to find one for my Siemens 2000 projector, but here in Germany they're ridiculously expensive!

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2016 06:16 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Svein
Here are a couple of UK eBay links that could suit you. Shipping could be expensive though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Siemens-Speaker-Baker-Loudspeaker-Model-Group-25-for-Film-Projector-/131917617432?hash=item1eb6e71918:g:GjIAAOSw9NdXvJkV

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-Projector-Speakers-/262587740089?hash=item3d2372efb9:g:pSoAAOSwIgNXuYSW

Svein Sveinsson
Junior

- posted August 25, 2016 07:37 AM      Profile for Svein Sveinsson   Email Svein Sveinsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks Terry. It is so much cheaper in the UK than over here! [Smile] I could just get it shipped to a mate's place in London, and pick it up some day.

David Gardner
Junior

- posted August 25, 2016 09:37 AM      Profile for David Gardner   Email David Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Svein,
The link to the double set of speakers is for the items I mentioned in my original post. I did not take up the offer to buy them from an acquaintance because plugging them in to non Siemens projectors just did not work. Having no knowledge of speakers/wiring I just gave up!
If you could get them to work with your projector they would be a magnificent investment. They look highly impressive being about 15 inches high and fold together for transportation.
Good luck if you acquire them.
David

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2016 03:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting seeing the Baker Group 25 loudspeaker drive unit in that ebay item. They were made in Croydon and sold from a small shop near the works, along with amplifiers and electronic components. They shut down about 10 years ago. I have a home built pair of speakers using the Baker Major 12" drive units.

Svein Sveinsson
Junior

- posted August 26, 2016 06:29 AM      Profile for Svein Sveinsson   Email Svein Sveinsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Thanks for not taking them! [Smile]

I ended up being the only bidder, so I got it for £16 + shipping to my friend in London where I'd pick them up one day. It sure beats paying €250-1300, which a lot of the Siemens 2000 speakers seem to be selling for on the German eBay!

I look forward to using them on my Siemens, as I haven't been able to use it for my lack of speakers. I don't want to blow the projectors built-in tube-amp, so I'd prefer connecting it to an original speaker set. [Smile]

David Gardner
Junior

- posted August 27, 2016 05:56 AM      Profile for David Gardner   Email David Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Svein,
Glad I was able to help
David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC